Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By tiltil
  • 1 Post By tiltil

Fake bugaboo sold as second-hand

tiltil is offline Registered User

Fake bugaboo sold as second-hand

Ladies just wanted to let you know that I encountered a bugaboo bee that a friend had bought as" lightly used" through the classified section that I am 100% sure is a fake. We both took a look at her "secondhand" bugaboo (she only bought it as it looked basically brand new and it was at a significant discount to mothercare ) and the workmanship is no where near my (very used) bugaboo bee. The fold is also not as smooth, and it handles wrong. She and I have both goggled it and were shocked to discover that there are China made fakes of bugaboo and stokke! She's now trying to confirm the authenticity via bugaboo and I guess, will pursue the seller. Not sure if other have had the same experience, could share. Made me think because recently I've considered buying a few things off the classifieds (BBQ, air filter) and I'm thinking twice. My thoughts were the classified on expat websites were just friendly expats selling their used goods to each other after they are done with them. Now I'm not so sure.

munchies is offline Registered User
    I had no idea people would even think of doing that, especially when it comes to babies. Thanks for letting us know.

Take a look at this link to fake bugabos sold by this website, $150 USD for a a bugaboo bee, buyer beware. If you have just purchased a secondhand bugaboo or other high end stroller the best way to be safe is to call the bugaboo service centre and tell them your chassis number. Only then can you tell if it is a real one or a fake. If it is a fake you might be able to pursue the fraudsters selling these strollers. I feel badly for the few unscrupulous people ruining the recycling of genuine goods for expats in HK.

Bugaboo Bee Strollers - The Extra Smart Choice For Babies - Buy Bugaboo Bee Baby Stroller,Baby Strollers,Baby Stroller With Height-adjustable Backrest Product on Alibaba.com
    sundayz0 and Chan86 like this.

recurring is offline Registered User
    Hi,
    Yes Ive a similar experience but not with pushchairs. It was a baby carrier of a well known brand. Ive checked the serial number to the official website and they got back to me saying that it was a counterfeited item. They also warned me to be very cautious when buying online as secondhand baby goods. Afterward, I researched online and found there are many fake baby items online and sold as secondhand.

I really need to be careful but I dont want to spend a lot of money buying new as my baby out grow them really quickly. So, from now on I go local. Luckily, there are fantastic groups on facebook regarding mummies, secondhand items and gatherings. If you have time, try to search these groups on fb and narrow it down to your area only and always, always check and re-check when buying secondhand baby products. I hope this helps. R

rani is offline Administrator
    Unfortunately, the scammers and ebayers have also discovered the Facebook groups too. Be cautious and inspect everything before you buy , and don't ask for items to be mailed to you sight unseen.

Also report any suspicious sellers to [email protected] and they will be removed.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Recurring I am shocked even baby carriers are being faked! But I guess why should I be, when there is a market for something fakes will exist, especially when the item in question can be made so cheaply across the border.

What bothers me more is the fact that the new mums and dads buying these fake strollers just don't know it. I don't really have an opinion about counterfeit items per se, if you know that is what you are getting and that is what you are willing to pay then good BUT in this case, this guy looks her and hubby in the eye and when asked why it's so new, he claims he's only used it a few times as his wife prefer another stroller. 'Yeah right!", the thing was brand new when she brought it around to our house.

Agree with Rani, even facebook groups can't be trusted. A lot of people pretending to be mums and dads out there (like this case) with old genuine goods to sell. It might be the more prudent option to go straight to alibaba or taobao and buy the fake instead of paying $$$$ for a 'secondhand' fake.
    recurring likes this.