Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Junior doctors/trainees and public hospitals

ngnhk is offline Registered User

Junior doctors/trainees and public hospitals

Hi all,

I am curious about something - as public hospitals are teaching hospitals, has anybody had their baby delivered by a junior doctor or trainee? Is it possible for the OB on call to be a trainee or would it always be an attending physician?

Also, I know most public hospitals have an anesthetist on duty at all times - they would never allow a junior to give epidurals and stuff, would they?

Just curious as to how much junior doctors actually do at these hospitals.

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User
    I have delivered all 3 of my children at QMH.
    For my first a group of trainee Drs arrived as I was about 10cm dilated and asked if they could observe and "help with minor procedures" - I said yes and off they went to get prepped, but by the time they returned my daughter had arrived, so they missed all the action and looked very clueless and baffled.

With my second I had an epidural and it was actually administered by a junior obviously under the supervision of senior anesthetist. I could hear them talking and instructions being given (this did slightly stress me out but had other things on my mind to fully consider it) and it took much longer than when I had an epi with my first, and was nowhere near as effective. They follow up care from the anesthetist team was much better the second time around...... called into the ward and called me at home.

When my third was born in April this year we came across a very rude junior Dr, to whom my husband was very "assertive" after I asked her to leave me alone, she then refused to deal with us and instructed the head midwife to deal with us, which as far as I am concerned was perfect. Needless to say after this initial incident and with a very stright forward, drug free delivery, we saw no Dr, trainee or anyone else other than midwives.

from my first experience 5.5 year ago to my experience 4 months ago the midwives have come on a really long way. They are very helpful and supportive, fully encouraged me to remain mobile, demonstarted to my husband how he could massage my back and generally reassured me that I could deliver my baby however I wished. They are also very good and mediating between you and the Dr! I guess what I am saying is, its a teaching hospital, the dr do need to learn and practice and I am very supportive of that, but generally it is the midwives that deliver the baby (in uncomplicated situations) and they are fantastic!
    ngnhk, rani and carang like this.

Thanks, Nic - really appreciate the in-depth reply!

So I am guessing the doctor is the one to stitch you up at the end? I guess I'd be concerned that at a teaching hospital, they'd let a junior doctor suture, which is kind of terrifying, hah.

Strange to think about, but only in the HK private system does a woman actually know the doctor doing the delivery. In most other countries, like Australia, the US, the UK, you just don't know going in. Could be somebody in a rotating group from your doctor's practice, could be a complete stranger...guess we're a bit spoiled, here!

Also, the junior holding an epidural needle would freak me out - do you think they would have listened to you if you had refused to let him do it and asked for the senior?

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User
    I am sure I could have refused, they make you sign the consent form immediately prior to the procedure, however if I am very honest at that point I probably would have signed anything and happily consented to anybody giving me an epidural!

Luckily I didnt need stitches with any of my 3 so i cant comment on who would do them.

Your right, in the Uk, where I am from, most deliveries are also by midwives and definitely no choice of Dr. Unless of course you go private!

TraceyHat is offline Registered User
    With me at QMH the actual delivery and stitching after was done by a midwife. She was amazing, I cannot speak more highly!! I didn't deal with any juniors, had an anaesthetist for the epidural and several OB's checking in every now and then. I was there over a few shift changes, very long labour!!

cherrypie is offline Registered User
    How many other mums were in the wards with you? Was it really full ? Also did they let your husband in as soon as you were actually in labour?

TraceyHat is offline Registered User
    The wards were really full, this was end September last year so "peak baby season". In fact, just after I had my baby we had to wait a bit extra in the labour room for a bed in the ward to open up. Didn't mind this at all because hubby could be with me there!! They let my hubby come with me as soon as I was moved to the labour ward. In the ward before that they're only allowed in if its visiting hours, but you can walk around with them outside...
    carang likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast