Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Cost of doctor fees - ward vs private room at private hospital

Mingaling is offline Registered User

Cost of doctor fees - ward vs private room at private hospital

My husband and I are leaning towards a private room delivery.

My doctor wants to charge (starting at) $25,000 for ward room delivery (3-7 people in a room) and (starting at) $50,000 for private room delivery. Does anyone know why there is such a difference in price? He is still delivering a baby, why does it matter if its a ward room vs a private?

ngnhk is offline Registered User
    This is just how things work in HK. Doctors charge on a sliding scale (for the same services) based on the type of room you choose. You also have to pay more for other things (ped, anesthetist, etc.) if you choose a private room. As for why...there isn't really any particularly brilliant rationale behind it. People who opt for private rooms usually know they can afford the extras (or have sufficient insurance coverage), so why wouldn't doctors charge more? It's just how the business works.

Some doctors will make each step up a differential of a few thousand, and some doctors - like yours - quite a considerable amount. Just depends on what they want to do.

rani is offline Administrator
    Unfortunately, this is the HK way. I got a quote for $12K for a ward, and we opted for private room. Dr charged me $50K and the anesthesiologist fee was $16K (called him on a Sunday and didn't include drugs).
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Thanks ngnhk and rani for the replies.

That's what up my husband thought...a little frustrating/unfortunate since we want the birth of our child to be in a more comfortable setting. We saw the price of the epidural, should we decide to use it, jumps from $8000 (ward room) to $16000 (private) as well. A little ridiculous since its the same drug...

Loveisgood is offline Registered User
    Yep they charge you double or triple according to your room type, even a tablet would be priced differently.

Out of curiosity, what hospital are you considering?

ngnhk - my doctor is affiliated with HK Sanatorium, HK Adventist Hospital and Matilda International Hospital. Since I know nothing about them, my husband and I may have to pay them a visit to make a decision. My doctor said to me during my last visit that there is no rush to choose a hospital yet (I am 12 weeks pregnant).

So which hospital gave you a quote for 8K vs. 16K for an epidural?

And wow...bookings must be WAY down if you're 12 weeks and he hasn't made you choose, yet. Last year (because of Dragon year and mainland women still allowed in), women who tried booking between 6-9 weeks still couldn't get beds confirmed. That is fantastic that there's no rush this year.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast