Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Recommendations for getting ultrasound

jollygood is offline Registered User

Recommendations for getting ultrasound

I'm going the public route and the hospital is all booked up for 20-week anomaly scans around the time that I'm 20 weeks. The (whoever booked me in - not even sure what/who she was) told me I'd need to get it done privately. Fine. I asked if she had any recommendations and she told me to go to anybody/where that has FRCOG certification.

I'm now a bit confused about who I'm supposed to be looking for and would any advice/info would be appreciated. I understand scans would normally be undertaken by a sonographer. Is that different for the anomaly scan? The obs does it?

If yes, then that makes it easier - there's plenty of info around for obs recommendations.

If not, then I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for!

I'd like recommendations preferably for Kowloon side but I see that most of the replies here are for the HK side. Fine. And any idea of the cost including consultation? I only need to have the one scan.

Sorry for sounding like an airhead but I just don't have a clue.

twontheway is offline Registered User
    Hi Jollygood,

Yes you're right in that the ultra sound scans can be done by an ob/gyno. Lots of women opt for the combo of private ultra sound and public hospital.

Seems strange the public hospital can't do it for you. I thought they gave appointments for scans once you registered with them. I'm registered with UCH and they're alway busy/full of hustling bustling pregnant ladies but they seem to managed to fit us all in.

Lots of info on this site for ob/gyno recommendations.

Thanks for the reply.

I was told I booked in too late (11 weeks) and all the appointments for around 20 weeks were gone, and that people normally book in around 8/9 weeks (which is actually when I registered). I didn't think of going earlier because what is the pregnancy wasnt viable. I didn't feel like I wanted to be turned away by someone saying "it's too early".

Anyway, I can always try to get a cancellation with the hospital. But the thing is, I didn't get nice treatment by the sonographer on the first scan so I'm not bothered about going back to see someone who is like that.

cherrypie is offline Registered User
    Hi Jollygood,
    That does seem strange - I thought I was 12 weeks and when I went for the Down's syndrome scan they said I was actually 14 weeks which meant my 20 -22 wk scan would be too late so they changed my 20 wk scan to 2 weeks earlier no prob at Tsan yuk hospital.
    I'm just a little annoyed that I have to now do the second trimester DS test rather than the 1st trimester as was too far along, even though I did a private scan and the dr told me I was earlier than I was grrrr what a waste of money And time.
    I would keep calling them till you get a slot - why should you have to pay 2,000 hk$ for something you are entitled to and is free!!!ps I registered my preg at 11 weeks.

yyc
    yyc is offline Registered User
    I recently got my 20 week anomaly scan done by Becky Mulloy, a sonographer, at Central Health Medical (Central Health) at their Duddell Street, Central practice. It cost $1600 and took about 20 minutes. The photos and video of the scan (more of a souvenir than a medical necessity) were included in the cost.

The sonographer may need to discuss/report the results to your doctor/obstetrician though, so you may need to either book a separate appointment for this and/or arrange this separately too.

Hope this helps.

Dillon is offline Registered User
    Hi Jollygood, thats shocking, I didnt realise the public system could refuse you care! I would have given them a piece of my mind.

Saying that I had my 20 week scan done by both systems though just as back up. It wasn't really necessary in the end but the private doctor could tell the sex and public couldn't at the time so it was a silver lining. I had mine done by Dr Robert Stephenson who just did the scan (no extra tests because I'd been to the public hospital for other checks urine, blood pressure etc) and he told me everything he was seeing throughout so it was great. It was 2200 HKD, took about half an hour... and he gave me the pictures at the end.

Dillon is offline Registered User
    sorry just to add after seeing yyc's post, I didn't have to go back to get any results for either the public or private 20 week scans - both told me as we were going along that everything was in order as they can see it right there, both were doctors so didnt have to consult anyone.

Thanks to all for your replies. I'm happy to have an idea of the cost.

The lady at QEH that I saw for the bookings wasn't the nicest although she did give me all the necessary information. She accused me and my husband of losing a piece of paper when in fact one of the nurses(?) took it from me. We left to get my blood taken and she realised she hadn't taken us through the info properly so she phoned us to tell us to return. After that she was quite pleasant (but of course it didn't take anything away from the fact that she scoured through my bag looking for this paper, which btw they found "lying on the floor" - hmmmm).

She told me all the 20wk scan spots had gone so I must go private. Of course I don't want to pay when I don't need to so I asked if I could have it done at another hospital. Oooh, deffo not! How can I? It's a different hospital with a different booking system. Yet I can do it privately under those same conditions?!

All the lady said was that I would need to give QEH the results of my private scan. I may just be really mean and not pass them over or just say I didn't have one (as they're not obligatory) *evil grin*.

I didn't get pics (barely even got to see the screen) at my 12wk scan so I'll be super happy to pay for a video AND pics later on. Luckily I managed to get some peanut pics at 9wks from sonographer family member overseas. I know the pics aren't a necessity but isn't that how your baby photo album starts?!!

THANK YOU. Any further responses will be welcomed