Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Kindergarten advice needed..

dimps is offline Registered User

Kindergarten advice needed..

Hi

I need to know which international Kindies are considered good here in HK . We are interested to get her into ESF primary school later. So need a kindie which will be considered by them ( if that is how they select ). We will be applying in ESf kindie as well but dont want to be optionless in case we dont get through. Also to add my daughter is a very restless girl and wont sit in one place..please let me know of Kindies that have a academic but a loving environment . ( I am specifying this, coz of my personal experience in one playgroup , where the teacher thought she doesnt ever pay attention ...she was just 18 month old ...i have no clue what she was expecting from a 18 month old toddler...!!!!!! )
    Thanx

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    ESF's only "requirement" (the only thing they look for in the interview) is that the child can follow simple instructions and has sufficient English language skills to start school there. I don't think that they have a "priority" system where they prefer a particular kindergarten - it is mostly via lottery system, luck of the draw. And apparently they reject very few kids (according to the school tour I went on last year when I was applying). I think you should choose the kindy a) for what fits best with your family/what you want out of a kindy, or b) what is "better" for other back-up options. Visit a few and you can get a feel for what you like...

charade is offline Registered User
    When I attended the ESF Abacus kindergarten orientation day, they mentioned that kids from their kindy do get priority entering the ESF school in Clearwater Bay. However, there was a mention that that arrangement was due to change for the subsequent year. I cannot remember very clearly so you could check with them, but for kids enrolled in 2013-14, they would definitely get priority for primary admission to the ESF school.

The ESF kindergarten has a play-based approach and so it would suit kids like your daughter, I think. I am saying this based on the orientation and the "play-date" interview; I didn't end up enrolling my son there in the end because I wanted an AM slot and it was clear he wouldn't get one.

In terms of other recommendations, it would help to know where you're located.

dimps is offline Registered User
    Thanx a lot everyone... btw do you have any idea about Tutor time kindie ??..