Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Breastfeed until what age?

MiMo is offline Registered User

Breastfeed until what age?

Hi my baby is 4 and half month old.

I am giving her only breastfeed from the day one. Now she is take a lot of feed than before. I still can breastfeed her. Its ok for me. Actually I prefer breastfeed for my baby. she is very healthy and is gaining weight within the defined specifications.

But I would like to ask the below questions, these might look silly but i really need your advice on these.

1. How do I know if my baby is getting enough feed each time. Or stay hungry a bit.
    2. Is breastfeed ok for her at this age (4.5 months) Or should I start some powder milk feed also,
    3. Is breastfeed contain all the necessary proteins etc... which developing baby needs. Some old lady told me babies can get required protiens etc... from powder formula milk so I should start this. Is it MUST to start powder feed for this reason?
    4. Can I start giving my baby some apple juice or some other healthy soups.

Looking forward for your advice!

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    No!!!!! You absolutely do NOT need to give formula if you are breastfeeding. Breast milk is *much much* better for your baby than milk powder. Your baby will be healthier and they've even found recently that breast fed babies have better brain development than formula fed babies. Also no need to worry about contaminated milk powder!

Doctors recommend breastfeeding for as long as possible- though you would need to start adding solid food as well at around 6 months because your baby will need iron.

If your baby is growing well and is happy after you fed her, she's getting enough milk, don't worry :)
    carang likes this.

Edit- 4 months is too young for water/juice/soup. Milk has everything they need at the moment. It is the perfect food for them.
    carang likes this.

MiMo is offline Registered User
    Hi Aquarian,

Thanks a lot for very detailed reply. I really appreciate your feedback.

And I am really happy to hear that breastfeed is better than formula milk powder. My Aunty really scared me.... :)

Yes, my baby feels content after the feed. and she relax and plays after that. In the night she go to sleep after the feed and have 2~3 times short feeds during the nights.

I just give one table spoon of apple juice a day, or some water (1 or 2 table spoons) during the day. surely will wait till she is 6 months for solid food addition.

Once again thanks for your advice!

No problem :) but she really doesn't need water or juice yet. Milk is mostly water but has all the extra proteins she needs to grow. Juice might make her learn to love sweet things, which will make it harder for you to give her food which isn't sweet.

rani is offline Administrator
    Congratulations on breastfeeding! I breastfeed until 11 months, and if you're ok with it try and continue for as long as you and baby are happy. You don't need to give baby any apple juice yet.
    I did give baby a bit of water in between feeds, but this is also unnecessary. Breast milk is fine.

Baby will let you know when he's ready for solids. Have a read through this thread:

Breastmilk, Early Solids, Formula.

Also the La Leche League hold meetings all across HK. Great place to meet other Mums who are nursing, and they welcome babies.

MEETINGS - LA LECHE LEAGUE HONG KONG ?????-??
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

miran is offline Registered User
    Breastfed till a year. Then cows milk. BF is really good - formula not needed if your baby is growing fine. All the best

LaLecheLeagueDB is offline Registered User

How long to breastfeed...

Hi MiMo,

Pasted below is the World Health Organisation's statement on breastfeeding. As you can see, they recommend breastfeeding for at least 2 years, with the introduction of complementary foods after around 6 months. If your baby is growing well, passing appropriate amounts of urine and stool, and generally appears to be in good health, then you can rest assured she is getting enough milk. Feeding on demand is the best way to ensure your baby's hunger and thirst (especially in this heat!) is being satisfied.

"Breastfeeding is the normal way of providing young infants with the nutrients they need for healthy growth and development. Virtually all mothers can breastfeed, provided they have accurate information, and the support of their family, the health care system and society at large.

Colostrum, the yellowish, sticky breast milk produced at the end of pregnancy, is recommended by WHO as the perfect food for the newborn, and feeding should be initiated within the first hour after birth.

Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond.
    "

Of course there are many factors which influence how long a mother breastfeeds e.g. employment circumstances, family support etc. etc. so really it is a personal choice! As long as you can would be my best answer :)

Kind regards,

Elena
    La Leche League Lantau
    LA LECHE LEAGUE HONG KONG ?????-?? - La Leche League Hong Kong Main Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast