Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Babies and Infants Gene Test

kellyandkelly is offline Registered User
    Hey guys,

Just to give an update here that i have went to the testing center today. Called in last week and they offered me a free consultation with their genetic counselor, and after the meeting i feel worthawhile to share my feelings here...

First of all its unlike what i expected that they will have suggestions of what to do or dont do for my kids, they only provide info on how our kids are actually like and its up to the parents to make use of the genetic information (only in a medical view). From what i still remember from i have been told today, they can let you know your kids are prone to which allergies or not, some kind of diabetes, whether they might be easily addicted to drugs and cigs, and also their talents in several ways.

Its sounds like quite a life changing report for my kids since they suggest many parents who did the test changed the whole education plan for their children based on the fact that they might be easily addicted to drugs, or they have good memories/language abilities. I feel for parents to have these info will help us to pick what schools they are better to attend and which is the most efficient way for the kids to learn.

However they will not be able to find out which sports or music instruments are more suitable for my kids since its not medical related, also they will not be able to tell whether which food or dust will cause allergies.

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Hong kong
    Personally I'm still completely unconvinced by any of this.
    TrailingWife likes this.

TrailingWife is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the update kellyandkelly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarian View Post
    Personally I'm still completely unconvinced by any of this.
    I agree with Aquarian. Most of this you would know just by knowing the parents' medical history eg parents have allergies, eczema, asthma makes it more likely baby has allergies. Diabetes also tends to run in families, as do certain cancers.

If your baby has a predisposition to something I think this is only useful information if there is proven scientific evidence of (1) the likelihood of a negative outcome and (2) actions that can be taken to avoid this outcome.

I think there is a well oiled machine for parting Hong Kong parents from their cash, particularly when it involves trying to make their child excel compared to others.
    Last edited by TrailingWife; 09-27-2013 at 01:29 AM.
    Aquarian likes this.

supertonic is offline Registered User
    I think it sounds totally useless, and creates unnecessary anxiety and bias. Even my kid does not have genetic predisposition to diabetes, does it means that I don't need to teach him healthy lifestyle and diet?
    If my kid is predisposed to addiction, does it mean that I can prevent it by forbiding him from computer games, drinking, gambling etc ? How does it do with schooling?
    I think it is a good way to rip the money off though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12