I'd really love to hear from anyone who has adopted a child in the last couple of years. I already have a beautiful boy and have been trying to conceive a second child for the past year with no success. I have always been open mined to the possibility of adoption and now think it really might be a consideration. To be honest, I do not have a desperate urge to be pregnant again, but just to be a mother and so IVF is not a route I want to go down. We are British but living in HK indefinitely.

Anyway, I've read loads on the Internet and would also consider adopting through the 'waiting children scheme' which involves adopting a child with very mild to severe special needs. However, I'm not clear if this is something set up from America or runs through adoption agencies here too? Also I've read that adopting in China would give you more opportunity , simply because HK is much smaller with far fewer children up for adoption. All the info gives different timelines, but I gather that the process can be at least 6 years for a 'healthy' child and 12 months for a child with SEN ( although in the UK many of these children would not be put under this heading as the special need can be as minor as a birth mark!)

Basically I'd just love to hear about anyone's experience of adopting from china or HK under the current rules and regulations and any advice you have to offer.

Thank you