Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Work in Australia but want to give birth in Hong Kong?

snowflake is offline Registered User

Red face Work in Australia but want to give birth in Hong Kong?

Hi guys,

I was born in Hong Kong (have HKID card, 3 stars) but moved to Australia many years ago for study and work.

I am now 5 weeks pregnant but would like to give birth in Hong Kong since I was born there and would like my baby to be the same as me.

My immediate family is all in Australia though, so am not sure how to go about in doing this...

I've read a few of the threads and would probably be looking at giving birth in a public hospital (since I have no health insurance in Hong Kong) and can't afford to pay the premium for private hospitals/rooms.

How do I ensure that I'm legible for giving birth in a public hospital? and is it okay to just have majority of the anenatal checks with a doctor in Australia and provide the hospital a copy of the data?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated :)

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    How soon before your due date would you move here and how long would you stay before you went back to Australia with it? Would you have any family in hk to help you with the baby after it's born?

Hi Aquarian,

Thanks for the fast reply!

My due date is around 13th June 2014. I plan to only be in Hong Kong for all the necessary check-ups as I can’t afford to be away from work for too long in Australia (and neither can my husband). I know I would definitely have to travel back to Hong Kong and stay there from week 35 onwards and would stay as long as required after the baby is born to sort out all the necessary paperwork.

My grandma is in Hong Kong, but unfortunately went into a nursing home just a few months ago this year but I do have an aunty and a few older cousins that may be able to help after the baby is born.

Ok- there is no need to come to hk just for check ups. The public hospital will take you even if you've never had a check up here but I would think seriously about who will definitely be able to help you. The first 2 weeks are *incredibly* hard and being on your own (?) with a newborn, even just for a couple of weeks is not something I'd wish on my worst enemy!

Edit: will your husband be coming over at 35 weeks?
    Last edited by Aquarian; 10-15-2013 at 07:58 PM.

I see, so there is no need to 'register' with a hospital first in Hong Kong?

Yes, I gathered that... I think I would be able to stay with my Aunty in Yuen Long when I go back to Hong Kong in Week 35. My husband may accompany me during birth but depending on his work since he does fly in fly out anyway, so he's not always around.

I gather from some other threads that it may take around 42 days to obtain all the necessary ID documents and also apply for an Australian passport so that the newborn can go back to Australia?

sa_li is offline Registered User
    Yes you do need to register with a hospital first.

It took us 10 working days to get baby's Australian proof of citizenship and another 10 working days for the passport.
    snowflake likes this.

You could register at 35 weeks, but you would need to show proof of address in hk (bank statement etc). So it might be the case you just have to turn up at a&e. Though you could ask at the hospital in advance if you can register if you're not resident.

(Incidentally, I know you have hkid, but does that qualify you for free public care if you don't actually live here? In the UK it wouldn't be enough)

I don't know how long it takes to get australian paperwork I'm afraid.

I suppose I would ask yourself is it really worth the stress of being alone in hk- away from the dad, close family and friends, for months just to be born in hk.

Personally I wouldn't do it. But that's just me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast