Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Public System - very confused!

Dbkiwi is offline Registered User

Public System - very confused!

Hi all,

I've just found I'm around 5 weeks pregnant (yay) and am trying to get my head around the public health system here.

We live in DB and would like to give birth at Queen Mary. Our GP told us we needed to register at Tsan Yuk, so I called yesterday and made an appointment for early December (the first one they could give me!)

However, it seems from looking online that the Tung Chung MCHC also 'feeds into' Queen Mary and also offers antenatal care. I called them and they can fit me in mid November, so I booked that appointment over the phone too (while I figure the system out!!!).

Am very confused!! Is there a difference between what we're meant to go to Tsan Yuk or the Tung Chung MCHC for? Or do they just offer the same thing - and in that case, is it pretty 'same same'? If so, I'd much prefer to stick with Tung Chung as it's so much closer.

Am also very confused about how to register for a bed at Queen Mary...am I right in thinking that once you've registered in the system, they do this for you...is that correct?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated! :)

twontheway is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I don't have any experience with any of the hospitals you mentioned but I did give birth in United Christian, Kwun Tong - also a public hospital. I would go with the Tung Chung hospital as it's closer to where you live and they can fit you in for an earlier appointment.

I was told (and I could be wrong so maybe someone better informed could add to this); in order to give birth at Queen Mary you need an address on HK island. As I said I'm not sure 100% but this is what a friend told me who's son was born there a few months ago.

As for registering for a bed. Docs at UCH told me that if they were full (no beds), then I would be moved to another hospital that had space. I'm guessing it would be the same at QMH though they may have more beds than UCH so it may not be a problem. I think they have private or semi private rooms as well that you can book.

You could also look at the option of going with a private gyno/ob for additional scans and info which you can book anytime instead of having to wait months/ weeks for scans.

Hope this helps!

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    You don't really 'book a bed' - as you have no idea when you'll need it. Rather you just register with the hospital and they take your details and arrange your check ups (either at the hospital or an mchc). Afaik every hospital has a catchment area and you'll be sent to the one for your area.
    carang likes this.

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Now that the mainland mothers aren't allowed, bed shortages are unlikely.
    carang likes this.

TraceyHat is offline Registered User
    I know South Lantau falls into the feeder area for Queen Mary, I went there... DB might as well... As far as I know you initially need to go to Tsan yuk to get into the system and they send you to the mchc clinic after that...

Thanks for the help everyone!! I've got a GP appointment next week so will double check with him, too. For now I think I'll just keep both appointments - can't hurt!

cherrypie is offline Registered User
    Yes - you need a doctors note to say you are pregnant, then general appointments and initial blood work done at MCHC appointments, they will give you a booklet of information and have a chat about everything, monthly weigh ins and protein check in urine etc.. and when far enough along they let you hear the heartbeat. Also on initial visit to MCHC saw doctor and she did a physical check of boobies and looked at tummy. Then Tsan Yuk for 11- 13 week scan ground floor, and 20 -22 week scan, 3rd floor for longer scan where they check all babies organs etc... You can pay for a copy of the scan for 245 hk$ if you want but you must tell them before the scan. Queen Mary for the glucose test and that's where I am upto! Not sure if appointments closer to delivery time will be at queen Mary but guess will find out!
    candybon and Mito like this.

Cherrypie thankyou, that's hugely helpful!!

Here's another question for you, slightly off topic! My GP (private system), who did an initial blood test to check for a bunch of things including Hcg levels, called to say that everythings fine but my Hcg levels were a little bit lower than expected (919..?) and to come and have another blood test next week just to check the hcg levels are rising as expected....But it'll cost almost $1000 for another appointment&test, and from what I've read hcg levels vary lots between women. So - would you just wait until the free Mchc appointment (mines mid nov) or pay to do it next week? Hmmm....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast