Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moving to HK with 4 month old baby

Katecymru is offline Registered User

Moving to HK with 4 month old baby

I am hoping somebody can give me advice on what it is like to move to HK with a young baby.

I currently love in London and I am on maternity leave from my job as a clinical psychologist. My baby is 4 months old. My husband has been offered a job in HK and is really keen to go. I am much less sure... We are visiting HK in November to see if I like it.

Has anyone been in a similar position and what were your experiences? How easy is it to build up a new network? Is it very hard being away from friends and family? We're you able to get a job in HK? Is it a good place to raise a family?

Sorry for all the questions- I am finding it a difficult decision. I am particularly worried about the work situation as although I would like an extended period of maternity leave to look after my daughter I would eventually like to return back to work.

Would you move??

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    DB, Hong Kong
    You have started in the right place. This space has lots of people in the same position.

We moved when I was 21 weeks and flew home for the birth and then came back when bub was 11 days old. It is a good place to live with kids - esp below high school and where we love in Discovery Bay (80% expat community).

If you do come, your first priority is waiting lists for primary ( even if you don't plan to stay that long - be prepared as places are hard to get in international schools). But other than that the parent network is as strong as you want and you and bub can have a great social scene.

Good luck with it.