Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Working parents don't want a helper

geekydaddy is offline Registered User

Working parents don't want a helper

What are the options for childcare if I don't want to hire a helper? I really don't want somebody sharing my apartment with my family!

Ollie_Roast is offline Registered User
    One of my colleague has her child in a kindergarten that offers whole day/child care services... but I think it's selected centers and the latest time you need to pick up the child is by 6pm. Also it's only for children from PN onwards... so at least 2 years old? Otherwise childcare is not that popular in Hong Kong.

Another option might be to have a part time domestic helper who can pick up the kids for your as well as do some cooking and cleaning for you.

Hope that helps!

charade is offline Registered User
    Live-out foreign domestic helpers, though illegal, are fairly common. So that's an option. Employer and helper come to an arrangement about working hours and paying extra for lodging etc.

I know a couple of people who have their kids in creches, which do exist though they are rare. One near my apartment in Tiu Keng Leng: Hong Kong Society for the Protection of Children

geekydaddy is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your help! Pre-nursery is probably a bit further down the road. Anyone know more about the day creches? Are they any good? From the website it looks pretty decent!

carang is offline Registered User
    from what i know:
    (1) long waiting lists
    (2) some have a "low income" requirement
    (3) none that i know of have English speakers
    (4) often cost more than a full time, live in helper

But please, if you find out differently, let us know. It would be great info to have. Good luck!

carang is offline Registered User
    #1 should read, many, if not all, have long waiting lists.... but hopefully i'm wrong on that

Gracey is offline Registered User
    There is very little Western-style daycare here for working parents.

We use a live-out foreign domestic helper. It is the most affordable, easiest option for childcare.

We pay her standard $4,100 monthly salary + $3,000 for her living costs. She shares a studio apartment with a friend, also a Filipina helper. (Note: that cost is for Kowloon)

She gets to work at 8am, takes our older daughter to and from kindie, and then leaves after dinnertime. I do our daughter's bedtime routine at 9. (The second one is just a newborn).

She's absolutely wonderful - as a working mom, I don't know what I'd do without her. She also gives us more flexibility than a creche, as I can call on her if I have to work late... or just want to occasionally go out for dinner.

Also, the local creche near our house gives priority to low-income families, as it should. The waiting list is 2 years!

JoMcK is offline Registered User
    Hello
    Just to tag onto this thread - I also am not that keen to have a live in DH but intend to go back to work part time when my baby is 6 months old. Gracey is your set up 'legal' as you provide living costs? Although this is a more expensive option it gives you a bit more privacy so I like the idea - how do you work food costs? Does she just eat your food during working hours? Are there many DH out there who are willing to do this live out option or did you have to search around a lot?
    Many thanks :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast