Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First time mommy to be

realj0y is offline Registered User

First time mommy to be

Hello ladies.

I am a Us citizen and married my husband who is also a Us citizen but born in HK so he has permanent residency, hk passport, and hkid.

I have only my hkid and must wait another 6 years to apply for permanent.

I am about 9 weeks so far and have gathered a lot of information reading these forums. My main questions are:

In my case, with only a hkid, am I entitled to public care?

In terms of citizenship and passports which country would it be best for my baby to be born?

Thank you all in advance!

Joy

Aquarian is offline Registered User

You are entitled to public care.

Your baby would be eligible for permanent residency and an hk passport as well as a us passport (I presume) if he is born in hk. If he was born in the us I don't know how that effects his right to hk citizenship.

Dasani is offline Registered User

If the baby is born in the states, it would not obtain Chinese nationality and thus no hksar passport.

thank you for your response. Can you please outline some of the benefits of having the chinese passport that I have not considered?

Apprecite your response

Well to be clear, for the time being it would be a HKSAR passport, not a PRC passport assuming you give birth in hk.

My wife and I were think if we should have our baby back in Canada or in hk but ultimately we decided we prefer hk. The benefits of dual citizenship is better and at least gives more opportunity for our baby in the future. Never know how things in hk/China will be like and with Chinese citizenship our baby can have the option of being in hk, China or back home in Canada (if the baby will consider home as Canada haha).

Very helpful. I could not have imagined having our baby anywhere else but the states, but now I am 50/50.

is there any way to pm, because it is my first time as a mommy and being in hk, I just wanted to know whether you and your wife opt to go public or private. Thx again.

We have opted for public at Queen Elizabeth as my insurance doesn't cover my wife's pregnancy.

The decision was tough for us as well, but the hk system is great and life i said, the benefits of dual citizenship was better for us even if we move back to Canada.

Plus in Canada we wouldn't be covered by our healthcare for the first three months so it would be quite costly for us.

dasani. any way to get a double date?? ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast