Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Due July 2014

lavender is offline Registered User
    Hey Mariababy,

I went to Tsan Yuk hospital - had my first appointment there yesterday. Bring a book, there is a lot of sitting around! They just did a blood test and asked a few questions. Am having twins so going back tomorrow to meet a doctor, but not sure that I'll go to all the appointments after that if I am seeing Sally. Will you?

Jan 11 would be great and sounds like most people will be back then. Since a few of us are in Happy Valley, maybe we could meet at the Starbucks or Classified there?

Paw14 is offline Registered User
    Hi ladies, I went to Tsan yuk on Wednesday for first appt. As lavender mentions, take a book!
    Just a heads up though, I was just expecting it to be registration and after a while a lady gave a few of us a briefing in English and mentioned that they might be able to do the downs syndrome test that day, but probably not. I (perhaps very stupidly!) assumed this would just be the blood test bit anyway, but it turned out they were able to do the ultrasound bit too. Since this now seems to replace 12 week ultrasound am now very disappointed that I didn't get my husband along so he could see it! Just thought I'd mention it in case your husbands/partners can make it as they might spring an ultrasound on you. Also they can share in the waiting around boredom!!
    I am in kennedy town so happy valley ok for me for meeting up in the new year.

mariababy is offline Registered User
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks for the heads up. I had my appt with Sally last week n found out that m 10 weeks pregnant. She's given a due date of 16th July for me. I and my husband saw the baby in the ultrasound. I was overwhelmed n in tears! She's so far taken my blood for thalassemia test. That's part of her routine screening.
    My appt at tsan yuk is on 2nd jan. Thanks for letting me know what to expect. Is the Down syndrome test compulsory? I m not sure whether I want to do it. Still giving it a thought. What are the other blood tests they do at tsan yuk? N what are their charges like?

Hey lavender, congrats on ur twins dear. Awesome. I m cool with 11th jan. Let's target that then.

Lots of best wishes to all.

Pandy is offline Registered User
    Hi mariababy

Just wondering, what is involved for the Downs syndrome test that they offer in the public system? Im going through the private system, but the Dr proposed running the NIFTY TEST which comes with an expensive price tag. I heard from friends that the Dr should be able to do a ultrasound to measure the neck skin which might indicate if further testing for Downs is required. Do you or anyone else have experience in the testing for Downs ?

lavender is offline Registered User
    Hi Mariababy

Thanks :) and look forward to meeting you on 11th Jan. We are going back to Tsan Yuk on Tuesday for the Downs scan. You don't have to do it, in fact my private doctor was very clear that you can chose not to. As for the blood test, they check 7 things - including Rubella, Aids and blood count. Can't remember the others just now. The appointment takes a while because you are waiting around but I found the doctors and the nurses really good.

@ Pandy, I think most people do the neck fold one first and if there is a slight risk then do the blood test. Our private doctor also told us that we could do the blood test at the same because it takes a while to get the results and it is slightly more accurate. We are just doing the neck fold test for the moment. A lot depends on the age of the mother though. Not sure what the public system offers but will ask on Tuesday and let you know.

Hi mariababy and Pandy
    Doesn't look like my previous response posted, but sorry if this does appear twice! As lavender mentions - it is totally optional to do the Downs test at Tsan Yuk. I was called into the room and the nurse asked me if I'd like it. Then you just sign a document if you want it. So totally fine to say no if you have already had it done privately or don't want it. I count as an 'old' mum so thought it best to have it :-)!
    No charges for anything. For me, it was just bit annoying that they said they probably couldn't do it that day, then did, and it was the ultra sound bit and my husband wasn't there! As you say mariababy it is a lovely moment to see it - luckily we'd had a private u/s at 8 weeks, but had changed so much!
    Pandy - the u/s bit in the public system is the nuchal something or other (!) where they test the fluid width at the neck, if thick then there is increased risk and then I think, amongst all the other blood testing they do, they also do the blood test bit - along with the other things lavender mentions - rubella, HIV, etc.
    They said they call you back within a couple of weeks if you're high risk on the downs testing, but the nurse who did the u/s also gave some indications to put my mind at rest a bit.
    All the best everyone

Pandy is offline Registered User
    Hi Paws

Is the fluid test you mention an amniocentesis? i.e. use a fine needle to draw fluid from the sac? I guess ill find out what alternatives my private OB offers up, since we are unlikely to take up the NIFTY test that our OB has suggested we do.

Hi Pandy
    No the fluid test I had was not the amniocentesis - my understanding is that one is only done if the other tests show you are higher risk and again is optional due to small risks involved.
    The nuchal fluid one I had is just a straightforward ultrasound. The nurse measures the fluid around the neck on screen, no needles. Combined with the blood test, they assess your risk. So I think the public system consists of the blood test and nuchal fluid (ultrasound) test, done before 13 weeks, and then only the amniocentesis a bit later on if needed/wanted. From what I can work out anyway! I'm not sure what the NIFTY test is - good luck sorting out your options!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast