Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

looking for a local hk nanny!

GeriYin is offline Registered User

looking for a local hk nanny!

Anyone knows where can I hire a local hk nanny? Seems a potentially cheaper alternative than hiring directly from an agent

Gracey is offline Registered User
    A local HK nanny will be much more expensive than a foreign domestic worker hired through an agency.
    We've used occasional HK / Chinese nannies, and they generally charge $60 an hour. That works out to nearly $500 a day, or at least $10,000 a month -- and that's for 9 to 5 work, Mon-Fri.
    A foreign helper costs about $4,000 a month for round-the-clock services, Mon-Sat.
    Also, we found the HK / Chinese nannies very grudging in helping out with anything else, even very light housework or running an errand -- even while charging quite a bit by hour.

Noted on your feedback. My concern is leaving my child with a fdh full time while I work cos back home we usually don't do that for safety reasons

Do you mean you would hire a Chinese nanny to be there at the same time as the helper? Meaning you would have two people there during the work week?

Or that you would have one - but just trust a Chinese nanny more than the Filipina helper?

My experience is that the Chinese helper was not as trustworthy. She was not careful when my daughter was on the playground, and would let her run wild and fall down. I trust our Filipina more. Now I use two Filipinas, but no more of the local / Chinese ones. I am HK Chinese myself, and also a working mum.

Am thinking of both on a temporary basis until at least my boy is 2yo then he can go full day nursery. I'm from malaysia and there are a lot of cases of fdh abusing children, running away, stealing, and the most recent case attempting to kidnap her former employer's son.

Is the situation the same in hk?

I've never heard of a foreign maid kidnapping a child. If you read the Chinese tabloid press, they sometimes highlight cases of bad behavior - but I feel they cherry-pick the most horrendous cases. Given there are 300,000 maids here, of course some will be bad. But most are good, honest, and often quite loving of their charges.

In 15 years, I've never heard of family, friends or colleagues whose children were misstread by maids. A Filipina spent 15 years caring for my grandmother. Many of my cousins, who have young children, become attached to their Filipina or Indonesian helpers.

Some of my friends have not had perfect relationships with their maids -- sometimes disagreements over conditions, leave or pay. But I've never heard of anyone's children being misstreated.

You have to find someone you trust, regardless of nationality. Hiring carefully and checking references are more important than their race.

Are you pregnant now? Or are you moving to HK with a child?

If you are pregnant, I recommend that you get the maid in place a month or two before you deliver. That gives you time to suss her out and train her. You can spend, say, two months before delivering, and two months after. In four months, you should be able to tell if someone is trustworthy. And, at the end of the day, there are no guarantees in life -- and sometimes you just have to trust someone.

None of my family have ever used a Chinese long-term nanny. Mostly, they use the Chinese just for the first few months, as a "pu yuet." This is partly because they are expensive, and partly because they work fewer hours and do less work. Also, some have rather bossy personalities!

I used a Chinese nanny occasionally -- like on Sundays, when my helper was off, and I sometimes had to work. Or when my maid was back in the Philippines. I used this agency: bamboos.com.hk