Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Giving birth at Tseung Kwan O Hospital

krystal_kk is offline Registered User

Giving birth at Tseung Kwan O Hospital

Dear mummies and daddies,
    I've just moved in to TKO area and just found out I'm pregnant! Now I'm stressing about finding hospitals and antenatal care.

Just wondering are there any mummies in the area who went to TKO hospital and if so can you share your valuable experience with me please.

I'm trying to find more info online but it seems TKO maternity is relatively new!! That kind of stresses me out more!

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

twontheway is offline Registered User
    Hi

I didn't know TKO had a maternity ward must be really new!

I gave birth nearly 3 months ago at United Christian Hospital in Kwun Tong and can share some info if you're looking at choosing between the two.

UCH is where I was advised to go by my doctor and I had monthly ultra sound scans done there. The doctors were good and willing to answer any questions but as it's a public hospital, doctors are rotated and every month I would see someone different.

On the day of delivery I had an emergency c section and the doctors and staff were very professional, I felt like I was in good hands. Babies went into NICU and were well looked after. Bedside manner from the nurses is .. well almost zero but they have very good doctors and top facilities. Once your baby is born the hospital experience will be but a distant memory.

krystal_kk is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your reply. Really helps settle a few nerves. Yes I am still thinking between the two hospitals since TKO is so much closer to home but it's too new I guess! Worrying about the doctors and nurses there. The facilities should be great since its new but the thought of new doctors and new nurses in a new environment really freaks me out!

Well I've only just found out I'm pregnant not long ago so I've still got time to choose but I just didn't know which to register for.

Hope you and baby are well by the way. Keep warm in this miserably cold weather!

MertonMummy is offline Registered User
    I'm due to give birth in September and have booked a bed at UCH - through the TKO Maternal Hospital because I'm not sure if I can get one at Sanitorium.

That said, I've been reading ok-good things about the public hospital system in HK. Is it true its only $100/day? Is that in a general ward with 6-8 beds and are there any other kind of options like private 1 bed or 2-bed wards? I can't seem to find any information on this.

I went for my w11 check up today and they helped to arrange a down-syndrome screening which will take place in 2 weeks. No one's asked for money so far - are there any fees because I was quoted about $1500 in the private clinic...

charade is offline Registered User
    I delivered at UCH in 2010 and 2012.

It's true that it's only 100$ a day, when you are admitted to hospital for delivery. The antenatal check-ups are free.

Before you're in what they classify as "active labour" you are in the maternity ward, which yes, has six beds in each section. I think they try to classify like mothers together...so the c-sec ones are together and the ones who have their babies bedside in another, and the mothers before they deliver are in another. There's a curtain to be drawn between beds but they like you to draw it only during doctor's rounds and while breastfeeding. The good thing is it's very spacious and you can keep walking around (before delivery).

For the actual delivery you go down one floor to the delivery suite where you husband can join you. After delivery, you are brought up to the ward where visitors are allowed only during visiting hours.

UCH doesn't have private rooms. Some other public hospitals do.

There are no fees for the down's screening or any ultrasounds they offer in the public system. The blood checks are also free.

MertonMummy is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much Charade for that info.

You know a good answer when it helps to generate a tonne more questions, I'm not sure if belongs here so I might start another thread but here's to trying anyway...

Are there any public hospitals where you do get to choose a 2-bed ward if available?