Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Union Christ hospital vs TKO hospital

krystal_kk is offline Registered User

Union Christ hospital vs TKO hospital

Any views on the two hospitals? Thank you!

I meant united Christian hospital in Kwun Tong. Thank you everyone!

Redestiny is offline Registered User
    With regards to giving birth? If so, TKO hospital has no maternity ward so you are not able to give birth there.

I delivered at the United Christian and although it didn't go as planned, I can't complain about mine or my baby's care. You would be well looked after there.

Oh really?? I was told that I could choose to deliver in TKO hospital or united Christian hospital. But the antenatal care would be done in the TKO MCHC.

How did it go for u?

Redestiny is offline Registered User
    Unless they have opened a maternity unit in the last 2 months, then I think you have been given incorrect info. Looking at their website it still makes no mention of a maternity unit. I was given the option to do my Anti natal appointments there but decided to just use United Christian as that was the hospital I would be giving birth in.

Which area do you live in? If it's Sai Kung / CWB then your other choice is Prince of Wales in Sha Tin.

charade is offline Registered User
    I remember talk of a obstetrics unit at TKO hospital but the last I heard in the news, it was scrapped. Just googled the Hospital Authority website and no news of it either. If there is one, yay. The new wing of the hospital looks quite nice, and of course more convenient if you're based in TKO.

One thing I would keep in mind when choosing is the exact hospital policies on things like husbands accompanying women during labour. There seems to be some variation between public hospitals on this. As far as I know, United Christian (where I delivered two babies - in 2010 and 2012) is supportive of husbands in the 'delivery suite' (not maternity ward, thus only during active labour) and husbands do not need to do a special course to be present at birth, as long as it's a vaginal birth and no complications. You could also ask about epidural policy and likelihood of getting one. You could also ask if there is a NICU in TKO Hospital - United Christian has one, though the most complicated cases go to Queen Mary.

I disliked the young residents who attended to my births at United Christian. They were rude and callous. The midwives were largely great.

I saw some gynaes at TKO Hospital for antenatal care and they seemed nicer. But you never know what the rota of doctors is and how they've been shuffled between the two hospitals if TKO has indeed opened an obstetrics ward.

Thank you. Yes TKO is soooo much closer that's why I was thinking about it. But my main worry is having trainee doctors and nurses. The thought of them giving me injections and stitching me up really puts a shiver down my spine.

I guess united Christian hospital also has a lot of trainee doctors since its a public hospital after all?

charade is offline Registered User
    Actually, all the hospitals have trainees, but I guess they are at a certain level before they are allowed to do anything surgical. Nevertheless, I have to say that my experience was that the experienced doctors at United Christian have better bedside manner, which is weird...you'd think the experienced ones would be impatient and arrogant but it's the other way around.

Are you having a c-sec? If so, you'd have a trainee doing some part of it but in the presence of a senior.

If a standard vaginal delivery, mainly the midwives do everything including stitching you up. They're pretty good.

That said, I think the docs in private can do smaller incisions and neater stitches - having compared my c-sec to episiotomy to others - but that's the difference between paying 60,000 -100,000 vs free, I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast