Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

intl kindergarten in tko

doctor9 is offline Registered User

intl kindergarten in tko

Plz anybody help me. I wanna know a good international kindergarten for my daughter in tseung kwan o .
    I hv few names such as Deborah , Greenfield , Greenville and Esf. Which one is best? is there any other name left?
    thanks in advance.

charade is offline Registered User

It's hard to say which is best. It depends on what you want.

ESF has a play-based approach. The teachers seem very experienced and are all non-locals. The students are very international. Getting into ESF kindy used to give the child priority to get into ESF primary school, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

My son goes to Deborah. I decided against ESF as he was waitlisted with a high chance of getting in, but an afternoon place. Deborah has a more structured curriculum, but lots of fun elements. They have a theme around which lessons are structured. The teachers are younger, so maybe some of them are not as experienced. There are some non-local teachers but both my son's teachers are Chinese (but with fluent English). My sons classmates are a mix of locals and non-local kids. The fees are really reasonable, though they have different uniforms and books etc which makes the cost add up. I'm pretty happy with the school, and it has a good reputation but I have to say my son doesn't like going to school. But that is very probably related to him and not the school. Both my husband and I disliked school too, so maybe it just runs in our genes.

I always mix Greenfield and Greenville up. The one just opposite Hang Hau MTR in Nan Fung Plaza must be popular because once I saw a massive line of people outside queuing for admissions.

A newly opened school in Yau Tong is Mills International. It's got a similar feel to ESF, with experienced non-local teachers. However, I think the curriculum is a bit more structured than ESF. They stressed they would prepapre the kids for primary school admissions. They have an open day on Sunday so you could check it out. The fees are about HK$6000 a month though.

There's also Garden House in Clearwater Bay that follows the Waldorf method.

There's Learning Habitat in Lohas Park which has a bilingual programme.

A big thanx to you Charade.
    I am a inadian and shifted to hk 1 yr back so dont know too much abt kind.g. , all i came to know about these schools from web but wanna find out a good kg for my daughter.

victoryu19 is offline Registered User

go to Mills International and take a look on Sunday. The facility is quite impressive.

charade is offline Registered User

One thing to keep in mind is the primary school system in Hong Kong. I'm not an expert but my understanding is that the options for expat parents with non-Chinese speaking kids the options are:
    1. International school - American International, Australia International, Canadian Intl, etc. These are expensive and hard to get into.
    2. ESF: Used to be the midway more reasonable option because it was partially subsidized by the government but the government is phasing out the subsidy so the fees should rise.
    3. Government funded English medium schools: These are elite schools and both locals and non-locals are desperate to get in so super competitive but cheap fees if you get in
    4. Direct Subsidy Scheme English medium schools: These are reasonably priced but some (many?) have subjects taught in Chinese. So the number that might be suitable for a non-Chinese speaker vary.
    5. Chinese-medium schools: If you have this option, or option 4 in mind you might consider putting your child in a Cantonese medium kindergarten. It's pretty much the only way a non-Chinese speaker can get fluency. However, it's a serious amount of work too and I was too lazy.

If you're going to be here long-term you have to have an eye on primary school. For that reason ESF kindergarten is worth a shot. Or if you can afford the International School fees you can look into the ones that have kindergartens attached. There's a German Intl kindy that opened in this area but not sure if its only German stream.

My approach has been not to panic too much and just take it as it goes. But I do have an exit plan in case it gets too crazy.

doctor9 likes this.

victoryu19 is offline Registered User

FYI the GSIS Sai Kung Campus is only for German stream + the students study there will not be guaranteed a place for the primary school in GSIS.

Also, ESF kindergartens no longer have interview priority for ESF primary schools (starting this year) .

Thanx
    I am in Hong Kong for next 3 yrs and i want to go with non chinese kindy . As concern for primary school i am not so panic . At this time i am focused on a good kindy for proper development of my baby.

Hi
    any one has review of box hill intel kindergarten?
    How that in term of study , environment and fees?
    I reside in tko.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast