Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

At what age do you let your kids play with the iPad and surf the internet supervised?

BabyMama10002 is offline Registered User

At what age do you let your kids play with the iPad and surf the internet supervised?

Sophie12 is offline Banned
    I'd prefer to begin with this asap. The reasons being that as a child, I never had access to a computer and I felt I missed out. Also, because I work online, I'm fully aware of how a child's education can grow so quickly when they have access to the internet. My boy's only 10 months but I suspect by the time he's 20 months, he'll be surfing happily.

wilkette46 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie12 View Post
    I'd prefer to begin with this asap. The reasons being that as a child, I never had access to a computer and I felt I missed out. Also, because I work online, I'm fully aware of how a child's education can grow so quickly when they have access to the internet. My boy's only 10 months but I suspect by the time he's 20 months, he'll be surfing happily.
    Interesting - I couldn't agree less! Don't want my daughter near all that stuff she ll learn quickly enough when she has to. If my mother was able to learn when she was middle aged, a child will find this all v easy.
    Would like her to play with toys or whatever is around until as long as possible . Feel that iPad / internet will stunt her imagination, increase her need to be constantly entertained and prevent her from socializing ( why play with other kids if there s the iPad?)
    Would also break my heart to see her able to flick on iPad but not know how to turn a page ! ("Mom, what is this thing?" Holding a book w puzzled expression type of scenario).
    I know there are all sorts of educational games etc but feel that there is enough out there for her to be entertained as it is .
    I wasn't near a computer til late high school times have changed of course and all experiences different but although a bit lost at first I learned quickly enough and spend way too much time online now.

rani is offline Administrator
    Have to agree! The later the better.

Here's an article we did recently on Screen Time

Screen time for kids: How much is too much? - Hong Kong GeoBaby
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Minnie753 is offline Registered User
    We've introduce iPad to our daughter at the age of 10 months and she still loves it (she is 2 years old now). I cannot see any negative consequesnces as of now.