Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

What would you do differently?

LittleLauhaus14 is offline Registered User

What would you do differently?

A question to moms who've given birth in HK: looking back at your pregnancy/doctors visits/delivery, is there anything you would have done differently? In terms of preparation or making sure your voice was heard...

I'm delivering at Pamela Youde and would greatly appreciate any advice regarding your experiences, public or private. Thank you!

lululuk87 is offline Registered User
    Hi,
    I gave birth to my daughter in St thereasa's just over 2 years ago and I think like most women who make a birthing plan, most of it didn't happen much to my dismay. I'm pregnant again now, so I'm getting a second chance to do the things again that I wasn't happy with. There are lots of things that won't go to plan and a lot of it upset me first time round, this time I'm still listing what we'd like to do, but I'm also more aware of how many rules they have in place and which ones are worth and even possible to fight for. So For me I'd say make a birthing plan but then highlight what REALLY important and look into it, because some of the things that were important to me like choosing my birthing position, would never have been possible with my doctor or the hospital anyway, so I was fighting a lossing battle fromt he start. The main thing I found at the time my daughter was born was that it was the peak time for over crowding, so many mainland people were giving birth in HK and the staff were stretched thin. Our Ob/gyn was fantastic and we've gone back to him, after 20 hours of labour my daughter ended up being an emergency c-section. For the c-section they're great, much better than in the west, but when it comes to natural labour I found there was very little support or guidance from the staff, everyone just wanted me to stay in one position, which at the time was so scary because it was the complete opposite of what my body was trying to do. This being one of many reasons that we're going for an elective c-section this time. The second thing for me was breast feeding, after the c-section my daughter was taken away immediately, again something I didn't want, but a battle you won't win in most hospitals. I know this was because of the over crowding at the time but it was ridiculous, to try breastfeeding you had to book and there were only 3 times during the day you could line up like cattle with all the other moms in a room, put on lab coats and you'd have 10 mins to try breastfeeding your baby, very little help from the nurses, they just pushed the bottle. I still don't know what happened to the babies at night because no mother's were ever called to try breast feeding. I tried breast feeding and pumping my milk for 5 weeks but it was impossible. This is something I'll be fighting for this time as it's important to me. I have the time to visit the hospitals this time which will allow me to research it propely, with my daughter we had to book the bed by 12weeks and already there weren't many places left!
    The best advice and what I'm trying to apply to myself this time round too, is by all means make a birthing plan, but highlight what's really important and if it's even possible to fight for from the beginning. I wasted a lot of energy and tears trying to fight for everything and the fact is between cultural differences, constant visitors, the dreaded hormones, over tirdness and the fact of having a new baby, it can all get too much REAAAAALLLLLY fast. List, prioritise, research, re-list, re-prioritse, then fight for it and most of all try to enjoy it, it's truely the most amazing time of your life :D Good luck!!

LittleLauhaus14 is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your info!

Scroll to top