Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

A good private hospital for breast feeding??

lululuk87 is offline Registered User

A good private hospital for breast feeding??

Hi everyone,
    I'm currently 18 weeks pregnant with our second child. Our daughter was born in St Thereasa two years ago when all the hospital's were full to bursting. I really hated the way you had only 3 chances of 10 mins per day to "try" breast feeding before they pushed you to bottle feed. I had so much milk and was trying for five weeks after leaving the hospital to breast feed, but without luck. Our Ob/gyn is great and said he can also deliver at union or Baptist. I'm going in a couple of weeks to visit all three, things can change a lot in 2 years, but I wanted to know if anyone had any recent experiences with any of these hospitals, specifically with breast feeding please. Thanks :D

Loveisgood is offline Registered User
    I had a good experience with HK Sanatorium. They don't push you into Breastfeeding unless you were ready and really encouraging when you asked for help!

miran is offline Registered User
    same here... very good experience with hk sanatorium. qualified lactation staff, lot of support but non-pushy approach. both my bubs are exclusively breast fed.

charade is offline Registered User
    From my research, I think Baptist is better than Teresa when it comes to breastfeeding. I registered to deliver there (but didn't eventually due to needing an emergency c-sec) and at least they profess to be committed to it. I think it's easier if you're in a private room as you can just have baby with you. If you search these threads for Baptist, there's a mum here Gracey who got off to a good start breastfeeding after delivering there.

In the wards,it's a tad harder. My friend in office had a semi-private room, her experience was that if you're committed, they'll support you. So normally they have scheduled feedings but if you want to go to the nursery and breastfeed in between, they'll support you. By the way, Baptist is pretty good on email...you can email their obs/gyn dept and ask about this specifically.

I discovered I was scheduled to have a c-section. I asked whether they'd help me with the baby if so. However, my sense was that I would be able to breastfeed only if I was recovered enough to go to the nursery myself.

Honestly, I think breastfeeding support is better at the public hospitals than at Baptist, because the public hospitals are really committed to it. However, as this is your second child, you know what to do so you can insist.

In the end I delivered public with an emergency c-sec, and I could start breastfeeding after one night as my baby was in the NICU. However, I went on to breastfeed successfully, as did my friend who had a c-sec at Baptist (she was very happy with her experience there).

lululuk87 is offline Registered User
    Thank you so much for your replies ladies, I will definately check out Baptist soon, hopefully they'll be helpful :)