Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Where to start

laurayates is offline Registered User

Where to start

I have just found out I am pregnant and am really happy. However I have only just located to Hong Kong and not sure where to start and need some help on where to start. Looking on the sight feeling a little confused. Who do I need to go and see and advice I'm pregnant? Is it a normal doctor and they refer me.? From looking do I have choose right away where I want to have the baby? When do I need to book it? When are you meant to have your first appointment? Also I live in tung Chung will I have to go to HK to arrange appointments?

Thanks in advance

charade is offline Registered User
    I think there's an article here giving a good overview if you search the articles section. Here's my two-bits to your questions:

1. Who do I need to go and see and advice I'm pregnant? I went to a gynac after I got a positive on the home pregnancy test. For my first I went as soon as possible. For my second, I waited a little. For both, he did an internal sonogram and could see a blob (forgot the technical name, that's what it looks like) and heartbeat at six weeks. However, probably better to go at 8 weeks.

Some women choose to go a GP to get the confirmation. Often, this is to get a letter confirming pregnancy so one can register in the public system.

2. Start thinking about whether you want to go private or public. Are you covered by insurance? Is there a panel of obs to choose from? Or can you afford to go private on your own pocket.

If not, you can go public. They will only register you at 10 weeks, though you can call and schedule and appointment for then. Not sure which your closest MCH will be...I heard there's now a public hospital in Tung Chung. Check the Hospital Authority website.

In the meantime, you can schedule a private gynac appointment at around 8 weeks for your own peace of mind. However, now even some private gynacs won't see you before 10 weeks. Most of them do though.

3. From looking do I have choose right away where I want to have the baby? Getting a hospital bed used to be a major stress but it has eased now. I think if you go see a gynac at 8 weeks, you should be fine. Then you may have a couple of weeks to think about which hospital...depending on where they deliver. YOu can shortlist gynacs that deliver at your preferred hospital. I think you have to confirm around 12-14 weeks.

4. When are you meant to have your first appointment? Eight weeks, or 10 in the public system.

5. Also I live in tung Chung will I have to go to HK to arrange appointments? Not sure. Kowloon is also an option for private.

rani is offline Administrator

laurayates is offline Registered User
    Thank you for your help and advise, I now know where to start.