Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Baby Registration - HK vs M'sia Citizenship?

  1. #9
    xanthe_80 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    I would suggest applying for Malay passport first, then coming back to HK to apply HKSAR later on, with 3* HKID.

    My (HKID 3*) friend had a baby, who's father is malaysian, and that's what they did/going to do, since he can't get Malay if he got the HKSAR passport first, but since the baby's born in HK, and Mom is HKID 3* resident (and return home permit holder), he is eligible for HKID 3*, and with that, he can apply return home permit & HKSAR passport regardless.

    It's just if you weren't born in HK, even if your parents are HKID 3*, they will challenge you further, and may reject your claim to the return home permit.

    In your case, you need to ask, since you (the mom) is PRC National, and father is Malaysian, so in HK terms, the baby is '雙非' (neither parents are HK resident when he's born), he is entitled HK residency (1*), but not 3*. It might be OK, because by the time your baby registers for HKID, Mom will be 3*, so baby can inherit the 3* from Mom. Return home permit will be another story though...

    I know it's a bit confusing, but i've been through the system too, and its very annoying!!! Hope my 2 pence worth of knowledge is useful =)

  2. #10
    mutt2020 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014

    going back to OP... any advise?

    Register birth cert at HK dept of registration. Take that to Msia embassy & have his citizenship done. He is entitled to a HKID (3 stars) when he turns 11. However he will be a Malaysian citizen and have a Malaysian passport. When he is an adult, he can choose to take up a HK passport and give up his Malaysian passport. He will still have the option to change as he will have a HK BC & of Chinese descent

  3. #11
    AandD is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Hi mutt2020,

    Just wondering if you made a decision on the best course of action. I am in a slightly similar situation - only difference is my wife is Hong Kong-nese. We're thinking what the best course of action would be for my baby who is coming at the end of April.

    I like your idea of registering him at the HK dept of registration first and then have his Malaysian citizenship done. However, on the other hand, I don't mind him having a HK passport either.


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Joint citizenship w/ HK passport?
    By Gracey in forum News and Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 07:48 PM
  2. Baby's citizenship
    By Jimbot33 in forum Preparing for the Arrival
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 10:38 AM
  3. American Passport/Registration for baby
    By Obiwan in forum Baby Talk
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 03:31 PM
  4. How to obtain Duel citizenship in Hong Kong?
    By chrissy2 in forum Preparing for the Arrival
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 06:01 PM
  5. Time at US Consulate for passport/citizenship
    By brainleacher in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Scroll to top