Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby Registration - HK vs M'sia Citizenship?

mutt2020 is offline Registered User

Baby Registration - HK vs M'sia Citizenship?

hi all,

this might be an old topic but i didn't find an answer so I am asking my fellow forum members.

Background; i am a Malaysia in HK on a dependent visa tied to my wife who is a PRC citizen working here in HK as well. She is another 2 years away from converting to HK PR

we just had a baby (yay!) & planning to have him registered in the coming weeks. We understand the whole process of registration but having a dilemma on Msia vs HK citizenship

Baby qualifies for HK because he is a Chinese citizen born in Hong Kong before or after the establishment of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. His mother is of Chinese descent. This also gives him ROA

Baby qualifies for M'sia because father of the child is a Malaysian Citizen

I would like to give him an option later in life (18 years old) to choose citizenship. So i know that Malaysia doesn't allow dual nationality. Would the best way be as per below :

Register birth cert at HK dept of registration. Take that to Msia embassy & have his citizenship done. He is entitled to a HKID (3 stars) when he turns 11. However he will be a Malaysian citizen and have a Malaysian passport. When he is an adult, he can choose to take up a HK passport and give up his Malaysian passport. He will still have the option to change as he will have a HK BC & of Chinese descent

gatochat is offline Registered User
    My hubby is Malaysian and I'm HK Chinese with British citizenship. Both of my children are HK citizens + british.... When we applied for my son's HK passport, the people at the passport service warned us about M'sia not allowing dual citizenship. We thot HK + British was better and we don't plan to move to M'sia so we never applied for M'sian citizenship.....

I guess having 2 passport won't hurt. My hubby didn't serenader his M'sian passport when he got his British..........

pobox557 is offline Registered User
    me and my other half were born over in the UK and hold Brit Citzs.

For years ive been trying to get a PRC passport, but failed every time. As far as im aware your only allowed to hold one citizenship with the PRC, so they said unless i gave mine up im not allowed one.

Now that our little one is born, in HK. Im hoping he can get a PRC passport first, then when we get back to the UK we'll apply for the Brit one which he'll automatically get.

Our British Immigration law/rule allows us to have dual nationality.

This way hopefully we'll skirt round the PRC rules.

mutt2020 is offline Registered User
    why are you looking to get a PRC passport? Since you are in HK , it makes for sense for a HK passport?

Pandy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by pobox557 View Post
    me and my other half were born over in the UK and hold Brit Citzs.

For years ive been trying to get a PRC passport, but failed every time. As far as im aware your only allowed to hold one citizenship with the PRC, so they said unless i gave mine up im not allowed one.

Now that our little one is born, in HK. Im hoping he can get a PRC passport first, then when we get back to the UK we'll apply for the Brit one which he'll automatically get.

Our British Immigration law/rule allows us to have dual nationality.

This way hopefully we'll skirt round the PRC rules.
    Not sure why you would want a PRC passport. Do you mean the home return permit? As your baby is born in HK, I believe he/she wont be able to obtain a HK passport unless you or your spouse have Chinese nationality (i.e. one of you are Chinese).

with a PRC passport you can apply for a return home permit. without one you can't apply....... Well it wouldn't approve.

Also if you have a PRC passport you don't have to come to Hong Kong every 3 years. As well as the next generation wouldn't have to be born in Hong Kong can be born abroad and still get HK ID with 3 stars on.

On other hand if no PRC passport then he she will have to come to HK every the years of they have a 3 star id card. plus they can't get return home permit. The next generation will be like us baby will have to be born in hk to get id card. Keep in mind we don't know what will have happen when the 50 year no change rule lapse

Pandy is offline Registered User
    When you say you want to apply for a PRC passport, are you confusing it with a HK Passport? If you have a PRC passport, then you are not eligible for a home return permit (only HK Passport holders are). Assuming at least one of the parents are Chinese, and your kid is born in HK, then he/she is entitled to a HK passport (Not PRC), and they can then apply for a home return permit.

Sorry....... my mistake hk blue passport.

oh none of us were born in hk, but we have a 3 star id.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast