Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Pregnant, live in USA, want to go to HK for birth and prenatal care

hongkongchick is offline Registered User

Pregnant, live in USA, want to go to HK for birth and prenatal care

Hi all, I am a first time pregnant 34-year-old living in USA right now, but planning on going back to HK for my prenatal care and birth of my child.

my situation is that I will have my first prenatal appointment in two weeks here in USA, but i want to fly back to HK in March, which i would then be past 12 weeks.

Would the public hospitals accept new registration past 12 weeks? is that too late that they wont accept me? could i register any other way besides physically being there?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Annjalee is offline Registered User
    I believe you have to register in person yourself. And if you do public you won't be able to pick your own Dr.
    I on the other hand is a US citizen and first time giving birth in HK. So far all the info about delivering in HK are from these forums. Kinda overwhelming. "Sigh"
    Congrats & good luck.

Thank you for your reply! I have been looking at hospital websites, but the public hospitals do not have very good websites, i want to go to Queen Mary (since it's very close to me) but i could not find any info on registering. I do know that private hospitals have great accommodations and you can pick your own ob/gyn or choose one from the hospital, but it's pricey and especially pricey if emergencies should occur.

I am hong kong citizen so public hospital is my first choice (soooo cheap) but i have heard that beds are so limited that if i dont register early i may not get a bed.

it really is overwhelming!!!!!! so much info, so many choices. sigh....

Annjalee is offline Registered User
    Yes...I do know that as long as you have your HKID you pay next to nothing for the delivery. Which is awesome! You must go with what works for ya.
    Here is some info of about Queen Mary's

http://www3.ha.org.hk/hkwc/ppi/downl...vision_eng.pdf
    hongkongchick likes this.

jwc209 is offline Registered User
    I don't think beds are that hard to get anymore after the government put in measures to curb mainlanders coming to give birth in HK. And if you're a HK resident, you should be able to register with no problem. I just registered at public and they don't see you until 11-12 weeks for first appointment anyway. I think you will be fine to register in person in March.

vmg12 is offline Registered User
    Hey,

I just gave birth in November so I've gone through all this registration stuff. Let me just share with you my experience and other info that I know.

1) First of all, as what the other comment already mentioned, hospitals here won't schedule you for check-ups until you're 11 weeks pregnant. In my case, I found out really late that I was pregnant so I didn't go for check up until my 5th month already, so NO, it's never too late.

2) If you want to have your delivery at Queen Mary, your check-up will be at Tsan Yuk Hospital. You need to call them to make an appointment and you'll need to bring the following: proof of address, HKID or passport, referral letter from private doctor. Once you've registered, all other check-ups will be a breeze. The clinic will give you all the information that you need.

3) Delivery at Queen Mary: no, there's no shortage in beds. But again, all public hospitals here will require you to have done ante-natal check-ups with them if you want to have your delivery there. (Tsan Yuk Hospital is like a subsidiary of Queen Mary)

I would suggest still going for check up with a private doctor if you want to see an ultrasound every check up. Gov't hospitals only check your baby bump's growth and the heartbeat of the baby. I know a good private OB which is not too expensive, HKD 800 per check-up. Send me a PM and I can give you his info.

Also, if you're still undecided if you want to deliver to private hospital or govt hospital, let me tell you why I opted for govt hospital:

1) It is A LOT cheaper. Private hospitals charge from 25-30k HKD for childbirth package. In addition to this, you'll have to pay for any meds, anesthesia they give you and the daily rate for your room which is like 2-3k HKD.

2) Based from my friend's experience and what my nurse (from a private hospital) told me, should there be any complications during delivery with you or the baby, they will most likely end up sending you or the baby to a govt hospital anyway. There are some meds that are only available at govt hospitals.

That pretty much got me 100% decided to go to govt hospital.

Sorry for the long response. Hope this helped!
    hongkongchick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jwc209 View Post
    I don't think beds are that hard to get anymore after the government put in measures to curb mainlanders coming to give birth in HK. And if you're a HK resident, you should be able to register with no problem. I just registered at public and they don't see you until 11-12 weeks for first appointment anyway. I think you will be fine to register in person in March.
    oh that's good news!!!!! thank you for easing my nerves!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vmg12 View Post
    Hey,

I just gave birth in November so I've gone through all this registration stuff. Let me just share with you my experience and other info that I know.

1) First of all, as what the other comment already mentioned, hospitals here won't schedule you for check-ups until you're 11 weeks pregnant. In my case, I found out really late that I was pregnant so I didn't go for check up until my 5th month already, so NO, it's never too late.

2) If you want to have your delivery at Queen Mary, your check-up will be at Tsan Yuk Hospital. You need to call them to make an appointment and you'll need to bring the following: proof of address, HKID or passport, referral letter from private doctor. Once you've registered, all other check-ups will be a breeze. The clinic will give you all the information that you need.

3) Delivery at Queen Mary: no, there's no shortage in beds. But again, all public hospitals here will require you to have done ante-natal check-ups with them if you want to have your delivery there. (Tsan Yuk Hospital is like a subsidiary of Queen Mary)

I would suggest still going for check up with a private doctor if you want to see an ultrasound every check up. Gov't hospitals only check your baby bump's growth and the heartbeat of the baby. I know a good private OB which is not too expensive, HKD 800 per check-up. Send me a PM and I can give you his info.

Also, if you're still undecided if you want to deliver to private hospital or govt hospital, let me tell you why I opted for govt hospital:

1) It is A LOT cheaper. Private hospitals charge from 25-30k HKD for childbirth package. In addition to this, you'll have to pay for any meds, anesthesia they give you and the daily rate for your room which is like 2-3k HKD.

2) Based from my friend's experience and what my nurse (from a private hospital) told me, should there be any complications during delivery with you or the baby, they will most likely end up sending you or the baby to a govt hospital anyway. There are some meds that are only available at govt hospitals.

That pretty much got me 100% decided to go to govt hospital.

Sorry for the long response. Hope this helped!
    That's such a good reply!!! thank you! i now have a better understanding of how it all works. I have scheduled a Dr. visit in two weeks here in the US and then in two weeks after that i fly back to hong kong. then, i will probably get a private ob just so i can call anytime or have more detailed check ups.

i am also checking my insurance, if it covers i might opt for a private room/ semi private room at the QM. but i am definitely leaning much more on Govt hospital now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast