Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Obgyn recommendations for private prenatal care & public delivery?

cocomomoxx is offline Registered User
    Hello all! I am new here, but is considering the "half and half" route as well. Can any body also recommend a doctor that would let me do this?

I would like to see a doctor as soon as possible. Could any one give me some ideas as to what kind of tests a private doctor will do on my first visit? Will they do a scan and try to listen for a heart beat? And when should the first doctor's appointment be? 6weeks?

Many thanks in advance! So lost at the moment!

gielian is offline Registered User
    Hello! Congratulations! I'm see Dr. Wilfred Wong Se Hung in Central and delivering at Pamela Youde. He's been very supportive of my decision to deliver at a public hospital.

Private doctors can see you anytime...I went to see him at 4w2d because he wanted to make sure the baby is developing fine (ultrasound) he gave me vitamins so it could help me not have a miscarriage this time. I am 20w6d now :-)

It would be best to go and register at a public hospital as soon as you can (now :-)) so you could have the first appointment for all blood tests, etc then at 12w they'd do the down syndrome test. After that you'd have an antenatal check up with a doctor to discuss the test results with you.

Hope this helps!

cocomomoxx is offline Registered User
    Thank you so much Gielian!! That was really helpful! Hope you don't mind me asking, would you be able to share how much does dr Wilfred Wong charges? How often does one need to see a doctor? Like biweekly? Weekly?

I called tsan yuk hospital and the earliest they can see me is 25 November (which seems like a life time away!), and they said it would just be a check up and a scan won't be taken at this appointment. Does this sound normal?

Thank you very much again for your help!!!!

You're welcome! :) I completely understand the long wait in the public hospital but you could visit Dr. Wong or other private doctors in the meantime.

Dr. Wong charges 800/1100 for consultation and 600 for ultrasound. I've ever only been charged 1100 for consultation but every time I see him I am there in either his ultrasound & consultation room for at least 30 mins. I do have to wait about an hour to get called though but if you are able to get the earliest slot (10:30), it's the best one. For my first trimester, I've seen him more often than normal because I am paranoid haha! I had an mc last year and Dr. Wong also wanted to ensure that this time I am taken care of from the very beginning. I saw him on 4w2d, 7w2d, 8w6d, 10w5d and 15w6d. I was supposedly only going to see him about every 3-4 weeks but there was a time when all my symptoms vanished and was so scared so I saw him the week after.

He has been very supporting of the public + private route I am taking and have suggested that the visits I have between him and the public hospital be at least 2 weeks apart.

As for the public hospital (Pamela Youde), after registering with them at 5weeks, my first appointment was in:
    -9w1d for blood tests
    -12w2d for my down syndrome test (ultrasound and blood test)
    -14w5d for the antenatal check up (first time in seeing an OB in the public hospital and she discussed my results with me, says it was normal. A doppler to hear the baby's heartbeat, check my breasts and did a papsmear.)
    -21w3d for the anomaly scan this Wednesday. I did have a thread here on geobaby asking about this and turns out not all public hospitals offer this as they may have limited slots.

Sorry for the long post! Hope this was helpful!

Sorry, i meant I've been charged 800 for consultation 99% of the time and was charged 1100 only once in the 1 year that I've been seeing him.

Kellysmith is offline Registered User
    Hi All,

I'm planning to go thru this route too as I'm concerned about last minute complications and I'm not insured. I'm seeing a private doc and have yet to tell her about my thoughts.

Does anyone know about the delivery charges in QMH? Will I need to use my private doc or will they assign another doc for delivery?

Thanks
    Kelly

Hi Kelly, if you are giving birth at a public hospital...you cannot choose who your OB is unless you are high risk or going the private route in the public hospital.

I am consulting my private doc throughout my pregnancy but will have no choice in the public hospital as to which midwife/doctor will deliver my baby.

Kellysmith is offline Registered User
    oh boy.. I'm going to be one nervous wreck.. im freaking out as it is now already

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast