Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Singapore International School - any comments pls?

Mandarin Tutor is offline Registered User
    Hello lost,

My SIS student last year finished PY 1, Chinese homework had :

1) normally 1 worksheet everyday or sometimes 2 days 1 worksheet
    2) each time Dictation of vocabulary with one sentence from textbook chapter context,
    usually every week or 2 weeks
    3) writing a journal every 2 weeks
    4) assignments on worksheets, theme topics with attached family photos, including
    eg. summer outing with family, Chinese New Year outing etc.
    5) assigned topics, prepare a Speech around 2-3 mins speak to whole class and teacher

Thanks for reading !!

Miss Chen

tibbar2011 is offline Registered User
    hi all, is the chance for a Singaporean kid to get into SIS pretty good? we have a boy and have been debating we should "make" him a Singaporean (or else he just remains a Hongker) so he gets a better chance of SIS (and more importantly, saves me from the headache of school hunting…)

of course the downside of doing is this that he may have to serve in army. ..

minirat is offline Registered User
    Pardon me for being blunt. One should become a Singaporean at the mentality of serving his country while enjoying the benefits of becoming one.
    slin likes this.

AmandaT is offline Registered User
    Hi, my husband and I are Singaporeans working in HK. We have a child born in 2013 Aug and we are considering to enrol her in PY1 with SIS. I am assuming that she will be for AY2016/2017 when she's 3 years old? Just wondering how far in advance do we need to send in our application and what is the selection process like? On another note, we are thinking of sending her to a playgroup in a couple of months when she's turning 2 years old. any good English / Chinese playgroups to recommend around the TST area?

Colleen is offline Registered User
    Dear all, my daughter and my husband are Singaporeans. We were told by the Singaporean international school that in order to apply for PY1 we still need to let our daughter attend play group and pre nursery. As we are not familiar with the education system in Hong Kong, we wonder whether any of you are willing to share your experiences about play group and pre nursery and timing for application. Thanks.

minirat is offline Registered User
    Since your gal was born in 2013, you should be applying PY1 for year 2017/2018 and application can be sent in summer of 2016. No one knows the actual selection process. My boy just went for interview 3 weeks ago and the kids attended the group interview without the parents.

Izzymom is offline Registered User
    Hi Everyone,

Oh wow! I am SO glad I read this chat group!!!! I'm a Singaporean Mum and I'm super new to all of this! I had my daughter last year in Sept. She is also a SG citizen whilst my hubby is local.

My local friends were already asking me which Kindergarden I was going to send my daughter too and I was super stressed!!! After reading all of your comments I've calmed down a little! Thanks so much for sharing all of your experiences and insights!! I better get cracking!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12