Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

English or mandarin speaking confinement lady?

blingling is offline Registered User

English or mandarin speaking confinement lady?

Hi there, could someone please share your experience with a good confinement lady who may speak English or mandarin?
    It's my first ever pregnancy and not knowing many people who have had babies in HK, not sure what to expect.
    My gal friends in Singapore raved about their live in confinement nannies. But I'm not sure how that works in HK?
    Lack of space... A small flat will make it tough for the nanny to stay over with our maid as well. Do they usually stay over or just come for the day?
    And what do the nannies do here? I want one who is a good balance between a sensible educated approach but still retaining some Chinese customs re food and caring for the mother's and child's fragile condition post birth.
    Help please?

Zergmei is offline Registered User
    hi
    the hk confinement nannies tend to do only half day, ie 10am-4pm for hkd17k (6 days a week for 4 weeks). those that do 24 hours stay in for 4 weeks charge hkd34k. they generally speak only cantonese and some putonghua.
    I am due in april with my #2 and am flying my confinement nanny over from Malaysia for 56 days. she usually works in Singapore and she charges sgd2500 a month for 24 hours stay in. all the fees exclude cost of any foodstuff.
    blingling likes this.

Pandy is offline Registered User
    Hello blingling!

I have justed signed a pui yuet today. Mine will be coming 6 days a week, 9am-5pm for 2 months @$15k per month. She will look afte me and baby and cook the special foods. If you want a live in option, then the price would be $30k. From my interviews, the price range seems to be between $13k-18k. I'm a native mandarin speaker, but the majority only speak Cantonese (which is fine for me as well).
    blingling likes this.

skylab_888 is offline Registered User
    Hi all, Im a freelance maternity/nursery nurse. If you need some help on basic newborn care, nursing/breastfeeding, bathing and everything about your newborn please do not hesitate to messages me here or whatsapp 55422210. Im very qualified, previous experience in International Hospital and RN in Hong Kong. Messages me for details and booking...thank you! Cheers!!!

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

Hi Zergmei, congrats on your mobile 2! And thanks for sharing your experience. Your Malaysian CL sounds like a good option. Any chance you could share her contact details? Can PM me if more convenient? Thanks!

Also, do the CLs generally expect like am angpow at the end of the period? If so, roughly how much should I give?

Thanks for sharing your experience Pandy! Congratulations on your baby! I'm due end September... You?
    Think I'll ultimately go with the Malaysian lady option... So far the ones I've spoken to speak good mandarin, and my canto is just way too basic to risk it... Lol! Am lucky I speak mandarin at least... :)

MertonMummy is offline Registered User
    Where would one start to look for a confinement lady and please excuse my ignorance, does the range of service exceed a visiting mid-wife and when would I really need either one?

Mumita is offline Registered User
    Hi MertonMummy,
    You can look at the website like sassy mama and book few months ahead for confinement lady. The range of service is good but of course they are not professional and registered like midwifes or nurses. Mainly food preparation like soup for mums and feeding you baby. Most are old like 50's above so bit bossy. If you are concern more into your newborn then I suggest get someone professional and younger as my friend shared experienced that her confinement lady always in a hurry in feeding at night so she can sleep...24hours is not recommendable....theyre old and they get tired also...anyway think about it....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast