Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Preparing for pregnancy/perinatal nutrition & exercise

Em888 is offline Registered User

Preparing for pregnancy/perinatal nutrition & exercise

Hi,

My partner and I are planning to start trying in May and I wanted to use the next 3 months to get my body as healthy as possible and get in the best shape in the hope that it will enable me to get back into shape quicker :-)

I have just joined Pure Yoga as hopefully this will help with my core strength and I've also spent the last 3 hours googling supplements to take and put in a big order with iherb! It's all very exciting as there is just so much you can do to help your fertility, health of your baby, labour etc with nutrition and exercise!

I have just ordered the book Brighton Baby and was just wondering if any of you had an tips for other good books on this subject or maybe you could share what you have been doing or any good research you may have read :-)

Emma x

rani is offline Administrator
    Here's some good reading.

5 Sex Tips to Get You Knocked Up - Hong Kong GeoBaby

Other than this, I wouldn't focus to much on reading and enjoy trying everywhere. :)

A good multi vitamin and some folic acid would be the only supplements I would take.

Good luck!
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

uhuviiit is offline Banned
    What about Qi Gong, Tai Qi? And there are some oriental health chinese medicine herbs and teas that can support you to get pregnant and that can prepare your body (hormone balance, nutrition, digestion, etc). It's probably similar to the iHerbs you got :-)

Qi Gong and Tai Chi sound good as I think stress has a big effect on the baby and conception :-) Might see if I can find some daytime classes to get the basics as I've never done either before!
    Have been thinking about Chinese herbs but I know they can be quite expensive and you have to take them for a few months to get the full benefits...... I may just see if I can look up the best ones for hormones etc and buy them myself and brew them at home. We have put the date forward a couple of months so still have another 2 months of 'getting healthy' :-) x

Your pic looks exactly like my hamster Ruby :-)

mrsg83 is offline Registered User
    Hi Em, I've just seen your thread and I wondered how the baby making was going? I'm in the same situation as you were back in February, we're planning to start trying in November and I want to get in better shape - core strength etc, as well as having all the right sups and nutrition. Really keen to hear more about what you've learnt and how it's going for you.

-Ash :)

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Hi Ash!

Only just seen this! Well we decided to wait to start trying so actually last month was 'the first month' so who knows ;-) I didn't do as much as I wanted to before starting trying in terms of fitness and nutrition but it may take a while to conceive so still plenty of time. It's funny, now that we have actually started trying it has made me start taking it more seriously! I have been taking all my supplements and doing daily core exercises as well as eating better.
    I read Brighton Baby which was really good but not really feasible to do everything they recommend unless you plan on never eating out and changing absolutely everything in your life.
    We already use a lot of chemical free cleaning products, body products etc and don't take any regular medication but some of their advice was a bit extreme. Still a good read.
    There is so much information sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming but I think cutting out processed foods and regular exercise, good sleep etc is core.
    Some supplements other than folic acid which I have been reading about is iodine, vitamin B, choline and vitamin K. Mainly for once you are pregnant but I think it's good to get levels up beforehand.
    I have been trying to do more core work but have a long standing back problem which flares up when I do core work. The catch 22 is that the back problem is probably due to a weak core!
    What is your situation? Are you currently quite health conscious/healthy and just want to get in top shape for pregnancy or is the baby an incentive to start living a healthier lifestyle? :-) x

mrsg83 is offline Registered User
    Hi Em, thanks for the reply!
    I have a lower back problem as well so I understand completely in regards to core strength and the catch 22! I wouldn't say I'm a super health freak and definitely not a fitness freak, but I generally eat pretty well and I walk for 30-40 mins a day. I want to get in the best shape to grow and carry a baby without any issues. I'm only 5' so I have an irrational fear that I might have issues during pregnancy and end up with a premmy or something.
    I tried yoga earlier in the year at the yoga room, which I found did me as good as a visit to the Chiro! Have you tried yoga? I hadn't done it before for fear of hurting myself but it really helped. Unfortunately I got so busy at work (I work up in lai chi kok and live HK Island South) and I just couldn't make it to classes regularly and eventually stopped doing it at home.
    I'm keen to get back into it now though as we're preparing to make a baby!!
    We're not officially trying until November but if it happens before then that's great.
    I already take folic acid, zinc and a range of other vitamins but I'll look at the ones you mentioned as well. I'll have a look at the book also, it does sound extreme though. I like the idea of balance but want to have my body as prepped as possible - if that makes sense :)
    Whereabouts in HK are you based?
    rani likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast