Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

How good is kumon maths for a 3 year old?

Jomama is offline Registered User

I also heard Enopi is pretty good, a bit less rote, a bit more concepts. Still similar stuff in my eyes. I wouldn't start a child too early unless he or she really enjoys it though. There's a reason why Germany band 'extracurricular' activities for kindergarten age kids.

treasure is offline Registered User

I guess we are taking about three year olds here who would be learning to count, quantify etc. Hands on practice is all they need with real things/material. If any one needs further clarification or advice , I can send some links.😊

Sent from my Nexus 7 using GeoClicks mobile app

Jomama likes this.

Yes, would love to see some links on this.

My boy is 3. 5 years old now. He keep skipping 15 when counting from 1-20 and weak with text recognition. However when i teach him math with my fingers he seem quite alright. More info would be go. thanks!!

londonexpat852 is offline Registered User

I think it depends on what kind of school you want to send your kid to after kindergarten. I feel this kind of rote style learning would be good preparation for local schools / Asian curriculum (eg. singapore international) but as far as western curriculum schools are concerned, Kumon's teaching style and learning method is very different and might not be as helpful as you think. Besides, at this age, I don't feel there is much that Kumon can teach the kid that you wouldn't be able to do, Kumon is perhaps more useful for older kids

Just wondering though, do you think a bit of rote learning can help a child enhance their discipline or the ability to sit and concentrate, or would it kill his interest in learning?

Our boy is now 3.5, totally active. According to all his teachers (be it Montessori or ESF or interest classes in the past) all said his concentration is quite weak in comparison to other kids his age. He has Sensory Integration issues and has improved a lot after doing a year of therapy, but still spaces out or removes himself from class when he lost interest, which is way faster than other kids his age.

He is going full IB in an non-Asian through-train school so at least he won't be asked to sit like a log in class any time soon, but i am still worried...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12