Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

How good is kumon maths for a 3 year old?

mayura is offline Registered User

How good is kumon maths for a 3 year old?

Any feedback appreciated - thanks

Sent from my SM-N900T using GeoClicks mobile app

miran is offline Registered User
    it really depends on what you mean by "good". Kumon is rote practice which depends on doing something over and over again daily till one has mastered it. It's boring and needs discipline on both parent's and child's part. Our son likes Maths, doesnot like Kumon all the time, but he has been going since he was 3.5 and is doing very well.

Having said that we know what we are aiming for - which is arithmetic through rote. He gets practical application and out-of-box thinking through his day school. We don't plan to continue Kumon beyond a certain point.

It really depends on one's goals, interests and the child himself / herself. It is not going to help in international school assessments - if hat's what you are aiming for.

Thanks for coming back. I wanted to understand whether it's worth sending her to kumon at 3 and will that add value instead of doing nothing at home. I personally likes ucmas abacus but they don't teach in English and it's too early for a 3 year old. What other options should I consider other than kumon?

miran is offline Registered User
    Personally - if she's going to a good playgroup / pre-school it should be good enough.
    sundayz0 likes this.

yvonnemommy is offline Registered User
    I sent DD to kumon for help when she's struggling in elementary school. I think it helped tremendously. However, I think it helped because it forced kids to actually do their homework. It's a pity that DD can't bear the heavy work. Then we switch to this site beestar. It's teacher recommended, full of all real life word problems, challenging stuff to help her thinking. But for a 3yo kid, I think kumon work is much too heavy...
    Lisa

maggie ka ka is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I guess for a 3 year old kid it is not necessary to send her to Kumon Maths. My girl is now 5 and I've been teaching her simple calculation concepts at home myself. The tools I used are anything handy you could find at home, with the help of some story books or soft toys!

Try it!
    Maggie Ka Ka

Thanks Maggie and Yvonne

rani is offline Administrator
    For a 3 year old, it maybe better to do some of the workbooks at home. There are some new books targeting younger kids, and focuses on Folding, Cutting and Coloring.

Let's Cut Paper! (Kumon First Steps Workbooks) :: Children's, Teenage & Educational :: Bookstore :: Hong Kong Online Shopping
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast