Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

What's the Best of Both Worlds (from the Public health system)

MertonMummy is offline Registered User

What's the Best of Both Worlds (from the Public health system)

Hi all,

I've been trying to find out what are the options available for giving delivery in Hong Kong.

Out of ignorance and desperation, I started by first registering with the TKO MHC which feed into United Christian since I understood that this would guarantee me a bed.

Then I read about the pros and cons of the public vs private system and started to wonder if I really would do OK in a 6-bed ward. I'm really unsure, I'm used to toughing it out but haven't not actually walked down this route before, I have no idea how tough it can be.

So far my experience at my first check up at TKO MHC was underwhelming as compared to my w5 & 7 check up at Women's Clinic. No ultrasound, super young doctors in shabby, crumpled lab-coats... it was nice to hear the heartbeat, but supposing one had twins, no one would be any wiser from that check-up. How do you gauge a fetes' growth without looking at size, yolk sack, feral pole, amniotic fluid, uterus health etc? Hubby was not impressed either. So he's also uncertain about what it will be like in the public health system.

And yet, i hear the public system has a great healthcare standards for baby and NICU units if anything goes wrong.

I thought a compromise might be a Best of Both Worlds style at Annerly. Trying to find the very best available at a public hospital.

So the question is, are there public hospitals where
    1. there is an 2-bed/semi-private ward option
    2. husbands allowed in the labour rooms (since its more private)

What else would be the 'BEST of delivery through public health system' to make it a less traumatic experience?

And, previous mum's - how likely would you check out of the hospital in 24-26 hours to recover at home with a visiting mid-wife? I know hospital deliveries that turn around so fast happen in Australia... but how about in HK?

aitkenb is offline Registered User
    Hi, I gave birth in a public hospital and had all my antenatal check ups too. You have to supplement your visits with a private doc. So, all my scans I did with a doc in Central. However, if these scans show any problem e.g. in my case she thought I had a low lying placenta, you will show this at your public hospital appointment and then they will book you in for further investigations asap.

Public healthcare here is excellent. You are in good hands.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

aitkenb is offline Registered User
    Also, you need to complete a short form for permission for your husband to attend the birth. Ask at the appointment booking desk at your hospital. As for semi private rooms. You get what you are given. I personally worried myself sick about it. When I finally got to the ward I was put in a huge ward. I didn't care. I was happy to just be with my baby. We were still well taken care of and had loads of privacy. I suppose it depends on what you will tolerate.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

rani is offline Administrator
    If you're looking for private Dr, Sally Ferguson is very good. She doesn't deliver anymore and only does prenatal appts.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Goldmark is offline Registered User
    I am doing the best of both with Annerely and hoping to deliver at QM. The MW at Annerley mentioned there was an option of a semi private room but you can only ask for this on the day of delivery if available and its at an extra cost.
    When are you due?

charade is offline Registered User
    In addition to Queen Mary mentioned above, Pamela Nethersole in the Eastern district also has this option (of requesting and paying extra for a semi-private room if available when you turn up at the hospital for delivery). My understanding is that you only get to be in the semi-private room after delivery, for before...you are in the ward but you might want to cross-check this.

In all public hospitals, husbands would not be allowed in the labour ward. Thus, if my understanding is correct, even if you avail of the semi-private last-minute option, you would go through the early stages of labour yourself in the ward. Husbands are allowed in the delivery suite (which is a private room) when you are in 'active labour' (10 cm dilated I think).

Queen Mary (and maybe Queen Elizabeth) has a private route where you see the same private doctor throughout but and get a private room for delivery where husband could be with you before during and after delivery. Note that the antenatal visits are charged a 'private' rate. My understanding after asking a mum who went this route was that it does work out cheaper than going private in the private hospitals. However, there are differing views on this.

Honestly, I've delivered two babies at UCH and it's not that bad. I found the UCH antenatal ward less crowded than the one at Baptist Hospital (a private hospital). The restricted visitors rule also works because while it's nice to have your own visitors, it's annoying to have other people's visitors making a noise when you want to rest. If you hate the food, you can get pizza or home food delivered.

For me, the thing to make it less trauamtic is to gather as much information on the specific hospital you're registered at and thus know what to expect. Yes, the antenatal appointments are basic and as a first time mum, you could see a private doctor. The equipment for the actual delivery at public hospitals is not basic at all and as you know their NICUs are the most advanced (though I would not take NICU as a deciding factor if everything is okay with your pregnancy).

If you have a standard vaginal delivery, you could check out after one night if you push them. However, despite some of the discomforts, the support staff at the hospital does give you an opportunity to rest as a mum. You will not have a legion of nurses and breastfeeding support at home. If you're a second-time mum, this might not be a problem.