Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By catlou
  • 1 Post By jilllovesred

Antenatal/ Birthing classes? Recommendations

jilllovesred is offline Registered User

Antenatal/ Birthing classes? Recommendations

Hi there

I've just been informed by my hospital (Adventist) that their March Antenatal classes have been cancelled due to inadequate number of enrollments. They're supposed to start this Thursday 6 March and they have only just informed me today. This has caused some inconvenience for me as their next set of classes are in April and I'm giving birth in May (with that said, their April classes could cancel if they do not have enough enrollments, again!).

I would be so grateful if anyone could let me know where I could take antenatal classes for the month of March? Is it possible to take classes at other private hospitals?

Thanks in advance!

rani is offline Administrator
    Yes you can take classes privately at Annerley or at the Family Zone who do a Fast track classes over a weekend.

Antenatal Classes Around Hong Kong - Hong Kong GeoBaby
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

pumi26 is offline Registered User
    I can recommend Annerley as well. Just finished the 5 week-antenatal class last week. Very good + you get a private session with a midwife afterwards to ask any more questions you may have.

catlou is offline Registered User
    We just finished the fast track course with the family zone and would definitely recommend. 3 x 2hr sessions on a sat morning in wanchai. Even my partner enjoyed and he has a very low attention span!
    rani likes this.

bellamojo is offline Registered User
    We did the Family Zone course as well, but I definitely do not recommend it if you and/or your husband have read even one book about pregnancy. We spent half the course watching fairly cheesy out-of-date DVDs. Honestly, I bought a book, read it, and so did my husband. Nothing "taught" in that course hadn't already been mentioned in my book (which by the way was the Mayo Clinic Guide for pregnancy)
    I went through the public system, and I had fairly general questions (being an expat) about the local system. The instructor was not knowledgeable about public hospitals outside of one or two on HK Island.
    It was only $1300, but I wish I had put the money into another course, probably like the ones recommended above. The Family Zone course just wasn't worth it.

bellamojo is offline Registered User
    By "ones mentioned above" I should have specified that I meant Annerley or Matilda. Costlier, but probably more thorough.

pumi26 is offline Registered User
    Annerley was really good in comparing private/public hospitals here and in Europe. They gave us lots of tips what to do/prepare in order to get the Western way in the public system here. Very helpful.

jilllovesred is offline Registered User
    Thank you very much for all your input everyone!

I ended up choosing the Annerley course, and will be starting this Thursday. Looking forward to learning all things baby as a FTM! :)
    rani likes this.