Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lrpolo

All day glucose monitoring?

lrpolo is offline Registered User

All day glucose monitoring?

I'm 14 weeks pregnant and with the QEH. Just did the glucose tolerance test with them yesterday. They phoned me back saying my test came back positive and they've asked me to go back to have all day glucose monitoring. Has anyone else had to do that? I just wonder what they're going to do. I can't seem to see any info on it on the internet.

rani is offline Administrator

How long was the glucose test you did yesterday? It's usually a total of 2-3 hours. They'll test you as soon as you get there, (normally a fasting test so you can't eat anything 8 hours before). Then you'll need to drink the horrible liquid, and wait about 2 hours to get tested again. Try and get there at least 15 mins before your appt, so you get done first. Good luck and hope all goes well! Bring a book to read as well.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Yes, that's exactly how it was, and the the result came back positive. I think I'm borderline, my result wasn't massively over the threshold. Now they want me to go back and spend a whole day in the hospital.

rani is offline Administrator

I think they'll probably want to check your sugar levels again after 4 hours.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

OldtimerMum is offline Registered User

Lrpolo

How did the test go? Have been thinking about you. Hope all went well

Hi, I kept on meaning to update, thank you for reminding me

Actually it was fairly easy going. The appointment was organised very quickly over the phone and I wasn't told what it was going to involve, so I had visions of being strapped to a monitor, or having blood drawn every hour through out the day whilst they made me do things like run or something! But all they did was ask me to hang around the ward the whole day, they gave me three hospital meals, after which my blood glucose measured from blood obtained from a finger prick two hours after each meal. They also took my fasting blood glucose first thing in the morning again via finger prick. So in total it was 4 finger prick measurements, plus they collected one blood sample via a needle for HbA1c measurement.
    During the morning the diabetes nurse gave us a lecture on gestational diabetes which was quite interesting. But otherwise it was a lot of waiting around in the corridor or in and and around the ward and hospital.
    All my readings were normal, but then again they didn't give us any unhealthy food or cakes etc. plus they encouraged us to take a walk after lunch and dinner. They have us two snacks to tide us over between meals, each consisting of a tetrapak of skimmed milk and two crackers! I reckon we were all pretty hungry by the time our meals were served! I think out of all of us only one of us had high readings, but I'm guessing she had more advanced diabetes.

We were told to buy our own blood glucose machines and monitor our glucose 4 x a day twice a week until the end of our pregnancy, and write our results on a chart they gave us. So far my home monitoring results have been OK, but I have to admit I tend to eat more healthily on the days I'm monitoring myself!

rani likes this.

Editor is offline Administrator

Thanks lrpolo for sharing!