Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rani

Kindergarten options

Katecymru is offline Registered User

Kindergarten options

Hi,

I am new to HK and I am just discovering the slightly terrifying world of trying to find kindergarten/ future school place for my daughter who is currently 9 months old. So I am hoping I can get some advice to get me started.

I'm looking for a nursery/ kindergarten place for my daughter around 3 days a week. We are living in the mid-levels on old peak road so ideally somewhere close. So....

What are the best options? Is it hard to get a place? Is it best to send your child to a certain kindergarten so that they are they are more likely to get a place in a school of our choice?

I would really like my daughter to learn a Chinese language so a kindergarten that encouraged that would be good.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Kate

rani is offline Administrator
    There are a few kindergartens on Caine rd. Tutor-time, Woodlands and a Chinese one called cannon.

There's also a lovely Playgroup in Tregunter called magic muffins. Give them a call at 9222 6269.

You an also sign up for some classes at the YWCA on Macdonnell Rd. Classes are both in English and Chinese

http://clle.ywca.org.hk/
    HKAl likes this.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

rani is offline Administrator
    You can also look at Victoria at the Belcher's. It's a good kindergarten, they have 2 streams.

English / Mandarin

English / Mandarin /Cantonese

http://www.victoria.edu.hk/eng/Admis...pplication.php

3-days a week is not very common for a 3 year old.

They also have their own primary school. However, as all their Kindergartens feed into this school it is quite competitive.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

10022 is offline Registered User
    Hello there! Don't worry, you are not too late. My little one attends Tutor Time and Victoria playgroups. I'm quite happy with both, though TT uses English/Mandarin (and is 1.5 hrs) while Victoria is Eng/Cantonese (and is 2h). I believe Victoria playgroup applications are closed until May.

If you're an existing TT playgroup student, my experience has been that they automatically accept you into pre-nursery. If you're a Victoria playgroup student, you still have to interview for PN. The only admissions advantage to existing Victoria playgroup students is that interview is basically an in-class observation by outside teachers. Hope this helps - and good luck!