Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

public hospital experience

catan is offline Registered User

public hospital experience

I would like to ask other women's experiences in public hospitals on HK Island, and how it compares with private hospitals, especially in regards to minimal interventions and breastfeeding support.

I delivered my first baby in Matilda and they followed my birth plan and allowed baby to room-in and breastfeed on demand. Would this be the case in the public hospitals? I don't think it's necessary for me to deliver again in a private hospital, as my first baby was delivered before the doctor showed up.

Any insights would really help. Thank you!

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User
    In a public hospital, unless there are medical reasons which prevent, the baby rooms in with you 24/7 except for a brief spell early in the morning when they take a babies for a bath. That said, there is a nursery if you wish to put your baby in there but they never suggest it and when I out my baby there so I could shower they made it clear it was only temporary!

I found them quite supportive of breastfeeding, but luckily I didnt have too many issues, so I cant comment on how helpful they would be if you struggled.

This was my experience after 2 straight forward natural deliveries, cant comment on Csection. My third was in special care baby ward and I was very insistent that baby was to have nothing but breast milk and they allowed that to happen, but the nurse did recommend I went up to baby every 3 hours because if the special care unit was busy they may 'forget' to call when baby woke up.

On all three occasions they followed my birth plan, not sure if it was because everything went smoothly. I had an epideral with the first two but nothing with the last. Husband cut the cord. I would say in the past 6 years QMH midwives at least have come quite a long way. Head midwife was v encouraging of staying mobile etc

OldtimerMum is offline Registered User
    From what I understand the public hospitals on Hong Kong island have more experience with Expat patients, and hence birth plans, breastfeeding on demand will not be new to them. You can actually hand your birth plan to the Dr during your public prenatal visits, and they will put it in your file.

Baby may not be able to room with you if you're in a ward, as the other mums will want to sleep. But if you and baby are fine, you can asked to be discharged early and do not need to stay for the full 3 days after a natural birth.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

catan is offline Registered User
    I'm not expat, but with my first baby I had a birth plan, and insisted on breastfeeding on demand. Is there any difference between QM and PYN public hospitals?