Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

What was your LO's first night home like?

Grumbler is offline Registered User

What was your LO's first night home like?

so my wife and I haven't been able to sleep much last night. the LO seems to be hungry all the time through out the night. from 11 to about 4, I think we fed him about 130 mL formula. but she still doesn't want to sleep. I think only about 1 hour she was sleeping around 6 am. most of the time, she has her eyes and mouth open. sometimes sticking her tongue out or rapid breath through mouth. does that all sound normal for the first few days? we are first time parents, worried sick if we are not doing something right. thanks.

charade is offline Registered User
    Unfortunately, it sounds pretty normal. Well, not sure about the rapid breathing but sometimes their nasal passages are small - you could get that checked out. Does the baby sleep better when you're holding her? Keeping the baby slung on you, or cuddling it a lot helps them adjust.

I see. It seems that she sleeps during the day more and awake during night. Doesn't like the crib either. So we may co-sleep with her. She does sneeze a bit. Probably just cleaning out her nasal passage. Now we are thinking it's just her sleeping cycle is different from ours. Guess we will just check with the doctors Thursday. She is eating okay and pooping okay at least. :)
    OldtimerMum likes this.

jollygood is offline Registered User
    My LO seemed to have night and day mixed up for the first week. Now all is fine and she sleeps almost all day and all night. She does the rapid and deep breathing a lot - nothing to worry about. She gets snuffly a lot also. I just leave it as she is not in distress. If it bothers you you can use a nasal aspirator. If I see any bogies ready to come out I will try to get them before she sucks them back up!

:) I think we are in for another long night tonight. She's been sleeping pretty much all day other than feeding. Good thing we've been taking naps in the morning and afternoon to catch up a bit.

A few more questions,

1) How often do you guys change diaper? Every time after pee or every time after poop? We changed like 8 diapers in a day and half. Thinking that's way too much and wasteful. Maybe just change after poop?

2) How long does a bottle of fresh formula last in room temperature? Some times she doesn't finish half the bottle. Then wait another hour or two before continuing. Pretty wasteful to make fresh bottle every time and dump the old one. But at the same time don't want to cause any health problems.

Thanks.

jollygood is offline Registered User
    Change nappies 8-12 times a day. How would you feel with your bottom stewing in your own pee?!! Mine pees a lot so it doesn't feel like it is a waste. Anyway, I've now started in cloth diapers so am reducing the waste for landfill.

Can't answer your question re formula.

wilkette46 is offline Registered User
    Re formula usually it s on the box but it s usually recommended to consume within an hour. 2 if it s pumped breast milk. Yes it s wasteful but unavoidable! Don't save unconsumed milk for later.
    sundayz0 likes this.

OldtimerMum is offline Registered User
    Remember changing lots of nappies too. I liked the ones with the designs, that faded when baby was wet.

We didn't give baby formula either but were pumping. To avoid wasting milk, we stored milk in 2 oz bags, and then 4oz as her appetite grew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast