Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By vmg12
  • 1 Post By Wozza
  • 2 Post By Wozza

When to book first prenatal appointment?

catan is offline Registered User

When to book first prenatal appointment?

I got a positive pregnancy test almost 2 weeks ago. I plan to deliver in a public hospital, but looking to see private OB. I'm not too familiar w/ the HK system, so would like to ask:

- When should the first appointment be?
    - What can I expect in the first appointment?
    - Any recommendations for ob/gyn, as I understand many obstetricians do not see pregnant women they're not delivering. Because of this I cannot see the ob that delivered my first baby.
    - How does Annerley checkups compare with private OB?

vmg12 is offline Registered User

If you plan to deliver in a public hospital, then they will require you to go to your local MCHC (Maternal and Child Health Center). You can still go to a private OB in addition to the local clinic check-ups. For local clinics, they only accept registration when you're 11 weeks pregnant and you need to bring a referral from your doctor.

carang likes this.

Wozza is offline Registered User

You will need to book the registration in advance - as soon as possible - even though you won't attend until around 11 weeks.

carang likes this.

catan is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
    You will need to book the registration in advance - as soon as possible - even though you won't attend until around 11 weeks.
    What do you mean book the registration in advance?

I will be out of Hong Kong from 7-13 weeks even though plan to deliver here. So if I don't see an OB now (in HK), it will be after 13 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Wozza is offline Registered User

You will need to phone the nearest Maternal Child Health Clinic to your residential address. This will be the place where your antenatal appointments take place. For example if you live in Pok Fu Lam, your place to register is Tsan Yuk Hospital but you will deliver in Queen Mary Hospital. You will need to phone the relevant clinic first to book a registration appointment (you can't just turn up) which normally takes place around 11 weeks (if you can't be here around that time then tell them on the phone and they will discuss the options with you). You must register with the clinics for antenatal care in order to deliver at a public hospital without charges that are just as expensive as a private hospital.

At the first registration appointment you will need to bring your HKID, also passport if you are not permanent ID holder, copy of husband's HKID/passport, proof of residential address (ie. utility bill etc) and proof of your pregnancy (ie. a letter from your local doctor confirming pregnancy, EDD etc.). They will get you to fill out forms, take baseline blood pressure and urine samples, watch a program on prenatal testing, give you the 'pink folder' with lots of information relevant to the hospital you will deliver in, see a nurse to take history, take blood for prenatal testing and sometimes do the downs syndrome nuchal fold scan and blood tests (depending on whether you want it and at what stage of your pregnancy you are and how busy they are that day, sometimes they make another time for you to come back for that). They will also arrange where and when your next antenatal appointment will be and generally you will see a doctor at that next appointment.
    This information is based on the procedures for Queen Mary Hospital and Tsan Yuk. If you will be in another catchment area then they procedures will be similar but may differ slightly. Just ask the process and what is required when you phone. They will normally tell you what you need to bring to your first appointment anyway. The reason I say phone as early as possible is that it can take quite a while to get in as they are usually very busy.
    I do not know of a specific ob/gynae to recommend personally as I haven't used one for any of my three pregnancies but I do know that some of them are happy to do the private ob consults in conjunction with the public system. Perhaps another member can recommend an ob who does this or search for a previous thread that discusses particular obs.
    Annerley are a great choice for "The best of both worlds". There is even a package they offer called that! I have only used them for 3d/4d scans and postnatally for home visits and they were well worth it.
    Sorry if this is long winded - it can be very confusing negotiating the public system the first time but the health care is generally very good.
    Please feel free to ask away if you need further clarification.
    Here is also an informative article on Geobaby:
    Pregnant in Hong Kong: Public vs. Private Hospitals - Hong Kong GeoBaby
    Good luck! :-)

Cocoamama and cartiergirlhk like this.