Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wilkette46

Hong Kong Private hospitals (Sanotorium, Maltida, or Canosa?),

AprilBuddy2014 is offline Registered User

Hong Kong Private hospitals (Sanotorium, Maltida, or Canosa?),

Hi all,

I am debating between the 3 private hospitals in Hong Kong. Which one would you recommend for the below case?

Virginal delivery and breast feed, looking for one with excellent care where nurses are patient and can help guide new moms. Can see the baby frequently and allows spouse to stay overnight. Great environment!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Lezah Ecarg is offline Registered User
    Matilda International Hospital is Excellent👍 I used to work there at Maternity Department.. They will provide you the Best Care you need. 😊

wilkette46 is offline Registered User
    Loved the Matilda . Your spouse can stay the night if you get a single . I don't think the Adventist allows that. Love the Virginal delivery :)
    Seriously though - they are very supportive . Also great breast feeding advice there. You can be with your baby as much or as little as you want.
    sundayz0 likes this.

M4545 is offline Registered User
    Definitely Matilda. Wonderful breast feeding support. And if this is your first baby,Matilda is best because they make sure u know how to bath the baby before u leave the hospital. At sanatorium, I heard they just give u a DVD .

catlou is offline Registered User
    I had a baby at the Matilda a month ago and can't praise it enough. Fantastic breastfeeding support and experience all round especially as a first time mum. I came home feeling really confident about taking care of my baby. I stayed in a private room where my partner was able to stay.

AprilBuddy2014 is offline Registered User
    Hi all, thanks for all your feedback. I posted the same question in a local forum and everyone there recommended Canosa and Sanotorium, which is no surprise!

I am going to check out the 3 hospitals with my husband in the next few weeks. The only thing with Matilda is the ride to the peak which isn't very fun for someone who is sometimes car sick.

Can I ask the total cost of a private room? A friend told me that if you book a private room, all other charges will get more expensive and calculated retrospectively. Is that true? My insurance covers $50k for virginal birth. How much out of pocket expense should I expect for private room vs a 6 people room?

Thank you!

M4545 is offline Registered User
    U can check the prices on Matilda's website. The hospital charges is $52,000 for private room and $26000 for 4 people sharing room. This is packaged price so basically covers everything, unless you do something out of the ordinary. On top of this you still need to add the doctors delivering charges and hospital rounds fees and the pediatrician's hospital round fee. And if you want epidural, it charges extra too.

sundayz0 is offline Registered User
    I just gave birth at Sanatorium last week (vaginal birth w/ epidural). It was my second baby, so I was less nervous in general (my older son was born in the US). I cannot compare it to Mathilda, not having delivered there, but I had a very good experience overall at Sanatorium, which I chose b/c it is much closer to my home on the Southside. I wanted a semi-private room at Sanatorium (where you get your own room but you share a bathroom in the hallway with another lady), but they were all full, so for my first night I got a private room/suite. I was only charged the private rate for my husband's "bed" -- all other fees were charged at the semi-private rate, as I changed rooms the next day.

Baby can stay with you as much as you want or you can have them bring him in for breastfeeding/cuddling and then take him back to the nursery whenever you need some rest. Husband can stay overnight, etc.

The nurses were very helpful but since it was my #2, I didn't "need" them as much, but they are there to offer breastfeeding advice as needed. The patient's food options provided in the package are definitely more local, but they have a whole room service menu of other dishes you or your husband can order from. If you want to know more about my stay, feel free to PM me!