Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 28 of 66 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Due Date - Jan 2015

pollyrafiq is offline Registered User
    Hello Knight family, welcome and 12 week scan is a big thing, the key milestone to pass the first trimester, congrats to the stable pregnancy !!!

The more the merrier and we love to have you :)

Warm reminder for tomorrow night dinner!!!
    Can't wait to see you ALL, cheers :)

Date: July 25, Friday (member's association so have to confirm final number instead of walk-in)

Time: 7pm

Venue: The Hong Kong Medical Association
    Address: 5/F, Duke of Windsor Social Services Building, 15 Hennessy Road, Wanchai

1. Polly Rafiq
    2. Rani
    3. Emily
    4. Kiki
    5. Yuki
    6. Kathryn
    7. NYC
    8. Lesiley
    9. Knight family

Sweet reminder for tonight, can't wait to meet YOU all expecting mothers and Rani!!!

I have ordered 8 dishes (need to order in advance) of the below plus complimentary rice, dessert (hot almond tea) and fruit for us in the dinner

1) Stir Fry Grouper fillet with seasonal vegetable;
    2) Salt & Pepper with cashew nut and fresh squid;
    3) Stir Fry Beef slices with seasonal vegetable;
    4) Sweet & Sour Pork;
    5) Black ears with mince fish cake and seasonal vegetable;
    6) Dark Soy sautéed King Prawn;
    7) Rice Vermicelli with dried shrimp and mixed vegetable; and
    8) Crispy Chicken (Half)

8 is the lucky number in Chinese, bring us luck!!!

The above will costs HKD1170 and divided by the 9 of us each pay HKD130.

emch1224 is offline Registered User
    Can't wait! Thank you so much for organising pollyrafiq! So sweet of you :) see u all tonight x

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Lesiley is offline Registered User
    Hi Polly,

All sounds good, except the almond tea, because Chinese Doctors don't suggest pregnant woman take almond or any food contains almond, especially not during the first trimester. Plus Chinese almond has two types, bitter one(北杏仁) and sweet one(南杏仁), bitter one is poisonous but normally been used as a special Chinese medicine in some Chinese prescriptions.Cantonese traditional almond tea normally combined those two types of almonds, but in different portions, use less bitter one than sweet one. About this point I also checked with a western doctor, he also mentioned that Chinese doctors suggest not take almonds during early pregnancy.
    But there is another one called : 桑寄生蓮子蛋茶 which suppose to be very good for pregnant woman.
    Here is a link you can have a look, but it's in Chinese traditional: http://www.christinesrecipes.com/201...ssert.html?m=1

Just in case if we need more options.

Thanks a lot for organizing this dinner for us, looking forward to it.

@ Lesiley, thanks to share, please see below weblink, use your best judgment as westerner and Chinese hold different views on food, unless you can provide the reason behind that will harmful to the pregnant woman, we cannot change the complimentary dessert as it's free, you can choose not to eat!

5 Healthy, Power Foods Pregnant Women Should Eat - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Healthy Foods to Eat During Pregnancy--Dried Fruit/Nuts

(raisins, apricots, cranberries, cherries, almonds, walnuts, unsalted peanuts)

rani is offline Administrator
    Am going to wear my Fat pants! Thanks Polly for organizing.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Sophiejgod is offline Registered User
    Hi my name is Sophie, I have a one year old and am currently 3 months pregnant with my second!

I've just moved to Hong kong so am eager to meet up with any Moms or Moms to be who live in the Pok Fu Lam area? I live in Belair so if you live there even better!! x

look forward to hearing from you x

Lesiley is offline Registered User
    @Polly, thanks for your reply and the article you shared with me. I read through it, from what I checked,the ingredient for making Cantonese almond tea are Chinese almonds ( varies in two types : bitter almond and sweet almond), not as same as the type of almond in the article you showed me here.

FYI: http://blog.yam.com/homeeconomics/article/39330873 ( in Chinese)

http://m.wisegeek.org/what-are-almonds.htm ( in English)

And now we are talking about Cantonese traditional almond tea, the traditional recipe is a combination of two types Chinese almonds, because if considering the efficacy ,bitter almond is much better than sweet almond and can be used as medicine for easing coughing problems if you know the dose of it, but generally no more than 10g each time, otherwise the side effect could cause serious problem.
    This is a link talking about bitter almond :http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...ITTER%20ALMOND

Recipe of making Cantonese almond tea:
    http://blog.sina.cn/dpool/blog/s/blo...80102edlw.html (in traditional Chinese)

http://cookedforyoublog.com/2014/03/...0161;露/ ( in English)

Sorry if I provide any wrong info here, but as we are all pregnant, better play it safer than sorry. The almond you take as a type of nut in daily diary is not the one been used for Cantonese almond tea, the almond fragrance/smell mainly comes from the bitter almond, that's why in the recipe it always contains bitter almond or bitter almond flavouring essence made from bitter almond. Perhaps the almond tea we are going to have tonight doesn't contain bitter almond at all, but still think it's worth of sharing this info with to-be-moms here. There are many things we don't know and we can share different opinions which would be a good way for everyone of us to learn more about the healthy food we eat and the interesting world we live in.

P.S Thank you for telling me that I can choose not to eat, otherwise if I left it untouched, I would feel guilty for a waste of food and the most important thing is not able to appreciate the chef's effort of preparing it. Almond tea used to be my favorite dessert, really nice. But now I guess I will follow the Chinese Drs' suggestion on food.

Page 28 of 66 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast