Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Epidural at QEH..any feedback?

summer_hk is offline Registered User

Hi poppyseed,

Good your baby is ok.:)
    Be always happy mommy..:)
    Get some rest..

Hope all qeh mommies could meet in one of our antenatal class in qeh.

By the way, do you take vitamins?
    Coz in qeh they didn't prescribed any.

rani is offline Administrator

Poppyseed,

glad you both are ok. you had us worried. xoxo

poppyseed likes this.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

poppyseed is offline Registered User

Thanks both. Hi summer, I take pregnacare (I bought some b4 I left and my friend also got it for me from UK..), it includes the recommended folic acid and some other multivitamins (just not vit A). Can you ask them to prescribe? (local GP they may be able to do). If not, you may have to get it in a watsons or mannings... or some of my friends said they buy on iherb.com which does global shipping, probably cheaper and even better quality...

poppyseed is offline Registered User

Hey ladies, I've finally see the doctor today at the antenatal clinic, so have quite a few questions answer. So Summer - your question about epidural - the doctor said that is correct, they cannot guarantee epidural, he did not say quota but he did say Anesthesiologist may not be available at the time you need it....

I also asked a lot about husband accompanying before & after. I heard so many said that public hospital you're left in a room and husband can only accompany you in delivery (unlike private), but doc said today actually they give some leeway to husband not just at the moment of birth, but have some time with you b4 & after.

Asked about cord blood banking but public doesn't do it. On the positive note, they are pro-breastfeeding and will not separate you & baby, they allow rooming in, unlike private (other than private room in private hospital).

On the other hand, spotting/bleeding for me has all stopped now so all okay (doc said now it stopped, and can hear the fetal heartbeat he doesn't need to further check..., which I wasn't too happy about). While I'm still torn between QEH and St Teresa's and Baptists and will think about it further, I'm just relieved the rest of the results so far are normal.

Ritubans is offline Registered User

Hi summer_hk,
    I had my baby in QEH this feb 2014, they have epidural on their birth plan as an option but i did not ask for it anyways, however nobody mentioned a quota for it so im not sure about that. But maybe you should know as an fyi tat your husband or any relative is going to be only allowed during visiting hours ( 6-8 ), so only when u r in labour can he be with u the whole time but after delivery and cleaning the baby, when they shift u in another ward he wil be told to leave immed.. And can come bak only 6-8.. So till u r discharged ur going to b alone without anyone except the visiting hours.. Thot u should know dis, not trying to scare u... Ritu

rani likes this.

summer_hk is offline Registered User

Hello beautiful mommies!:)

Thanks for all your feedback.
    Its been a great help.

So much appreciated..😊😍

Impatienz is offline Registered User

WHOA. WHOOOOOA.

They have QUOTAS on epidurals!? Are you serious!? I'm 4 months along and my husband is just about to accept a job in HK, meaning we'd probably be getting there around my... 7th month (AHAHAHA, fun). I figure I'm a bit too far along to get into any private hospital at that point. Public is fine, but if they seriously expect me to squeeze out a child without an epidural, I will GNAW someone's face off.

Pain and I are not the best of friends. XD Thanks for the info! Can't wait to share this with the husband! :D

jollygood is offline Registered User

I had baby at QEH in March. I was admitted straight away (at 3cm) to labour ward so no worry about having to spend time on the 'waiting ward' (I don't even know what it's called!). That's a way of getting around the annoyingly limited visiting hours, but then I had to suffer through contractions at home :)

I didn't choose epidural so didn't have to worry about not getting it.

Yes, they provide rooming-in although baby is very often taken away so you can 'get some rest'. I use the quotes as I'm not sure that is the real reason. I definitely didn't want my baby taken away because I wanted to know everything that was being done to her. After the first night there, I got wise to them taking her away and kept her on my bed and pretended to be feeding whenever someone came along (they won't take baby away from a breastfeeding mummy). Only one morning, about 6am, did I allow them to take her but I didn't see her again for a few hours :(

I found they were great with breastfeeding support on the labour ward. In paeds I had to force the issue a bit when baby had overnight stays there, but BF promotion is part of their policy, they can't reject it (they asked if they could use formula overnight and I refused).

poppyseed likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast