Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nyhkmom

advice needed: having husband around during labour at Queen Mary Hospital

fhnl is offline Registered User

advice needed: having husband around during labour at Queen Mary Hospital

I'm due in about 2 weeks and am aware of QMH's strict rules on visiting hours. Am hoping to get some advice about how I can go about having my husband with me through labour. I don't think I can do it alone. Planning to follow the 511 rule but am also not sure how many hours till actual delivery after the 511 point. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

Dbkiwi is offline Registered User
    They will let your husband into the labour room and let him be with you for the whole labour and delivery.

He just can't be in the obstetric ward with you (where you go until you're 3cm dilated - and how long that takes varies a lot from person to person) but he can wait just outside, and you're allowed to pop out and chat/be with him. After the baby is born, he can stay for about an hour I think, or until you and baby are moved to the postnatal ward. Then he's restricted to standard visiting hours which are 6-8pm I think.

Hope that helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Thanks, dbkiwi! Just got informed that I tested positive for strep b so guess I won't be able to delay getting admitted as long as I would have liked. But glad to know he gets to be with me from 3cm onwards. I really wasn't looking forward to facing the pain by myself.

nyhkmom is offline Registered User
    I recently delivered at QM.

0-3cm (obstetrics ward): husband not allowed.

3cm - birth (labor room): Your husband can be with in you in the labor room, however, they will ask him to step out during exams and when you have an epidural inserted (if you choose to do this).

Postpartum: Visiting hours are 12-1pm and 6-8pm. No children allowed.

Fyi, the 3cm rule is not a hard rule at QM before being transferred to the labor ward. I was admitted straight into the labor ward at only 1.5cm, skipping the obstetrics ward completely, as they thought I would progress very quickly.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    rani likes this.

Hi there, thanks for your reply! I had my baby 4 weeks ago and turned out that I didn't have to spend any time in the general ward. Waters broke and got sent to e labour ward on admission.

Congratulations on the arrival of your little one!