Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

British passport for baby, how long does it really take?!

chinart is offline Registered User

British passport for baby, how long does it really take?!

I wondered if anyone had recently applied for a British Passport for their newborn from Hong Kong via the postal service? The website says its takes 8 weeks minimum, how long did it take you to receive the passport?.... Trying to plan a holiday 8 weeks after the birth... Thank you.

SammieJ74 is offline Registered User
    As far as I know Chinart 8 weeks is the minimum. It can take anywhere up to 12 weeks. You cannot use travel as an excuse to hurry the process. Apparently there is no way to speed the process up!so I wouldn't book anything if I was you. They have had my forms and my passport already for 4 weeks. It's so frustrating. Why Oz and NZ can manage a couple of weeks and the UK 12 I do not know! Feel like I'm trapped in HK at the moment. :-)

rani is offline Administrator
    Sam is right it could take up to 12 weeks. Where did I read that someone's passport was also stuck in Customs for a couple of weeks in the UK?
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

What a pain I really didn't anticipate such a slow service it's mad! If anyone has done it recently id love to know how long it took? When I called today they said 8 weeks minimum which is pretty vague... Thanks for the feedback Sammie and Rani!

catlou is offline Registered User
    I'm also waiting. We sent the paperwork 2 weeks after my baby's birth and allowed 12 weeks (we already had flights booked). The latest quote I've heard from a fellow HK mum is 8-18 weeks!! It's absolutely ridiculous. It's impossible to plan anything. We've started to chase 5 weeks in...
    rani likes this.

Wow thanks catlou for your reply not what I wanted to hear... But what I had expected I guess! Total madness that our child will potentially be grounded and stateless for 3-4 months what a joke!!!!!

rani is offline Administrator
    A friend just waited 12 weeks for a renewal
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User
    The UK is currently implementing a new system for screening and issuing passports and I have heard the current wait time is minimum of 3 months and thats for a renewal, presume there is more checking of eligibility involved in issuing firt passport.
    Sad that the british consulate no longer issues them as they could turn them around the same day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast