Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sundayz0
  • 1 Post By cherry8pye

Obstetrician Delivery Fees at Sanatorium?

markique is offline Registered User

Obstetrician Delivery Fees at Sanatorium?

I am 8 weeks pregnant and have been looking into hospital options for delivery. The packages at Sanatorium are quite interesting, and the location is great for me.
    Packages says: Obstetrician, Paediatrician, Anaesthesiologist and other doctors' fees are not included.
    Does anyone have a clue of how much those fees could amount to?
    Thanks in advance.

sundayz0 is offline Registered User
    I think those doctors' fees depend on the individual doctor. I gave birth at Sanatorium last week and my OB's fee was around $45K (she's with Central Health). If you want to send me a PM, I would be happy to share my other fees with you.

rani is offline Administrator
    sundayz0

Do you mind sharing the breakdown here? I know there are a few mums from last night's Nov Due Date Group who are considering the Sanitarioum
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HKSA1.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	2658

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	2662

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	290 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	2666

I hope these photos will come out, but I've uploaded photos of the HK Sanatorium brochure that lists their rates for vaginal and caesarian deliveries, respectively.

The third photo is of my final bill, which came out to approx. HKD120,000 for a semi-private room (including all OB/anesthesiologist/pediatrician fees). The final amount of HKD120,000 includes the deposit of HKD20,000, which I put down at 12 weeks .
    Bbng likes this.

Sorry, there were another page of baby-related fees that I didn't post. It amounted to about $16K and included the pediatrician's fees (attending at the birth), tests, vaccines, and the circumcision which the pediatrician performed in the hospital. My grand total is still $120K.

I'm sure other patients' fees will differ if they are not using doctors from the Central Health group. Regardless, I hope my post with the hospital charges will be helpful.

markique is offline Registered User
    Sundayz0, thank you all so very much for the feedback!! The breakdown is so helpful. Thanks a lot for sharing. I believe the doctor who visited me is not with Central Health, he is actually one of the Doctors visiting at the Obstetrics and Gynaecology Centre at Hong Kong Sanatorium. That might make a difference, I suppose.
    Were you happy with the experience?
    My hubby wanted me to deliver at Queen Mary because it is meant to be the best place to be in case of complications, multiples, etc; but I have been treated at Sanatorium before and for some reason I feel more comfortable there.
    It may be the hormones, but the thought of being on my own at Queen Mary for my first delivery and have only 2 hours visiting time a day is not something to be looking forward too. Besides, there is a high chance he misses the delivery because of his job. I could still have a friend or two spend the day with me at the Sanatorium if he does not make it. I think I'll feel more at home there.
    Thanks again for sharing.

rani is offline Administrator
    Thanks for sharing sundayz0.

Really helpful.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

cherry8pye is offline Registered User
    I gave birth at Sanatorium in Nov 2013. I wanted natural birth but ended up with emergency c section after many hours of trying.
    - 5 nights semi private package + emergency c section extra fee + husband staying overnight etc = $44 K
    - OBGYN c section fee + 5 daily visit fee = 47K
    - anesthesiologist = 16K
    - Pediatrician daily visit x 5, lab tests = 11K (my baby did not need any extra monitoring etc)
    Total = 115K
    I calculated that if I had a natural delivery the cost would be roughly 80K or so.

I thought Sanatorium was excellent. Food was just so so (my husband ended up bringing better food to me haha). The care from the nurses was excellent. They checked me into the birthing suite right away as I was decently dilated but I ended up staying there for 12 hours b4 giving him and going to the operating room. I think in a public hospital they would not be able to let me stay there for so long. Having my husband staying with me throughout was really important to me and since we had our room he could stay to help me with the baby after delivery. According to my doc, Sanatorium's "pros" is that it is a large hospital and has a lot of medical facilities to cater to complications (say vs Matilda). QM is great for complications (and cheap!) but like you I was concerned about having husband support and privacy. Keep in mind that if Sanatorium's private/ semi private rooms are full when you check in, you have to stay at their general ward, and your husband would not be able to stay overnight with you (although visiting hours are very generous).
    sundayz0 likes this.