Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pandy

Private Hospitals Question!

Impatienz is offline Registered User

Question Private Hospitals Question!

So my family and I are moving to Hong Kong in about two months. I'm, of course, 17 weeks pregnant with a baby due at the end of November. I've done a lot of research on having a baby in Hong Kong and as this will be my second child, I'm not overly concerned since I've read nothing but good things about Hong Kong's private and public hospitals and their level of technology and professionalism!

My question, however, is if I'm simply too late in the game to even attempt to snag a bed at a private hospital? We're still waiting to see what our health insurance will be like, so it might not make sense to put down the down payment at any of the private hospitals just yet since insurance may not cover it (though I *think* they said they will to some degree).

How early did people register for delivering their babies at a private? Should I just accept that it's public (which is fine!) or out in a manger? ;D Since I'll be probably 7 months by the time we get to Hong Kong, am I just calling it a little too close for comfort?

Seriously. Any information people have would ease my jittery soul! Because on top of packing up my entire life, selling our car, selling our condo, and shipping everything else over seas all in the course of a few months, I'm also having a baby. Because OF COURSE I AM. :D

Thanks again!!

rani is offline Administrator

Welcome to HK!!!

Are you coming to visit before the move? I know a few members have managed to book hospital rooms from overseas. You do need a Dr to help you. We have list of popular Drs in the Directory, you can search the forums for reviews. You can interview them over the phone, and once you've selected one ask them to book your room, and you can make an appt with them for when you arrive.

If your insurance doesn't cover maternity, then the public hospitals are top-notch.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Impatienz is offline Registered User

Thank you (OH SO BELATEDLY!) for the information, rani! I appreciate it greatly!

We're looking to be moving to Hong Kong at the end of August (eeeee!). And I've got my eye on Adventist at the moment, as it is the closest to the area we're looking to live in, which is Repulse Bay. Though Pok Fu Lam is a pretty close second, same with Stanley.

I've been recommended to talk to Dr. Selina Pang Man Wah from a friend of my husband whose cousin knows her well and says good things about her. The bit I've been able to read, she seems like my type of lady to help squeeze this baby out when the time comes. I just can't seem to find an e-mail address for her.

Figure I need to get my bed booked ASAP if I want even a chance at a waiting list!

Thanks again, rani! I've read tons of your posts to other questions and you are truly a fountain of information. I hope we'll be able to meet once I'm in HK! :D

lululuk87 is offline Registered User

Hi Impatienz,
    I just had my second child at Union hospital, even though it far away(from most things!) it's really wonderful and they just changed their breast feeding policy. Hong Kong love their policies and there's not a lot of wiggle room with most of them. I had my first child nearly three years in St thereasa's and was only allowed into the nursery 3 times a day for 10 minutes to try and breastfeed, which I ended up not being able to of course!. Back then there were nearly no beds left when we booked at 12weeks. already, but this time we had until 30 weeks to books, so you still have some time. Good luck :)

rani is offline Administrator

There are a couple of email addresses on Selina's website you can try.

Hong Kong Health Practice

Hope to meet you too when you arrive. We organise catch ups regularly.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

bibik8 is offline Registered User

Dr Selina Pang 2521 2567

Pandy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Impatienz View Post
    My question, however, is if I'm simply too late in the game to even attempt to snag a bed at a private hospital? We're still waiting to see what our health insurance will be like, so it might not make sense to put down the down payment at any of the private hospitals just yet since insurance may not cover it (though I *think* they said they will to some degree).
    I dont think you will have a problem with booking a bed. However if you dont already have medical insurance covering maternity, then you will most likely need to pay on your own dime, as most maternity policies require a 9-12 month stand down become you can claim for maternity treatments.
    rani likes this.