Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Baby passport(s) questions -- American + British

AprilBuddy2014 is offline Registered User

Baby passport(s) questions -- American + British

Hello, wonder if anyone knows the answer to my questions below before I ring up both embassies!

I will have the baby in Hong Kong so the baby will naturally get Hong Kong PR. I am a US citizen and my husband is British. Do you know if the baby can apply for both passports or he/she can only choose one?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

AKBM is offline Registered User
    Baby should be able to get both US and British. I know that the British allow dual as I am one. Never heard of the US rejecting an application because of dual citizenship.

Also HK PR is only available if a parent already has it.

jollygood is offline Registered User
    As you are British, your baby is automatically British and you just need to apply for the passport. Not sure about US in that regard. As AKBM said, you can get both passports. To make life easier, I would apply for both at the same time as for the UK one you need to send in any current passport (i.e. if you had the US one then you would need to submit that).

You can apply for HK passport for baby if you have Chinese background (a HK passport or a 3* HKID), although your statement was re PR rather than passport.

Hi thank you for your responses. I was under the impression that if you are born in Hong Kong, you automatically get PR. I will apply for PR end of next year when I reach 7 years. If my baby is not born with a PR status, can he get PR with me at the same time? Baby's father need another year to get PR.

Thanks!

AKBM is offline Registered User
    My understanding for PR: the baby or existing children can only apply when one of their parents apply. It's not from birth unless one parent already has PR. So my kids will have the same visa as me and then they get PR when I apply (in 4 years, so might not happen!). This might be wrong as I haven't really looked into as it's a while off. Just been told by others that have had children here.

pollyrafiq is offline Registered User
    I have a similar question, I am Australian Chinese and my husband is British, I know Australia procedure, birth by descent and the way to get passport, but for British identity, kindly advise procedure, any birth by descent certificate required and the passport process in HK, any website to share will be highly appreciated.

Thanks everyone. Let me call up the embassy and share my findings here!

jollygood is offline Registered User
    Pollyrafiq, you can get a british birth cert from the consulate but it's not mandatory. It costs £105.

To get a uk passport just fill in a form online and send in the supporting docs request (which I believe include parents' passports). There is currently a backlog of overseas applications/renewals (covered in uk press) so docs/passport aren't being return very quickly.

All info can be found on gov.uk website
    https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
    Last edited by rani; 06-24-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: link addded
    pollyrafiq likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast