Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

local stream or international stream?

Anisha Parvin is offline Registered User

Red face local stream or international stream?

Hello to all parents,

I am currently looking into K 1 for my child (2Y6M) to be enrolled next year Sept...

We are foreigners, but my husband can speak Cantonese in an average level. Since both my husband and I can't read or write Chinese (Cantonese nor Mandarin) i was wondering if I should enroll my child in the local stream?

We will be here in Hong Kong for a long term, and I really want my child to be fluent in Cantonese or Mandarin. But since the educational material (books) will be in Chinese, I really don't know how I will be able to guide my child in her studies.

I hope parents with experience can share their thoughts

Thank you in advance

rani is offline Administrator
    Lots of Expats have opted for a local stream for a variety of reasons. Enrolling her in Kindergarten will be a good way to test it out and you can decide later if you want to continue or switch to an International stream. If your husband can speak Cantonese, am sure he can ask someone to help him read the school notices. If the school you go to has a few Expat children they may offer notices in English. You can also get a tutor to help with homework or just play with her. You can find a University student.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

mammyandme is offline Registered User
    My husband and I speak Chinese but we can't read. My kid is attending PN at Golden Gate International in Hung Hom. Their circulars are bilingual and their Chinese (Mandarin) teachers speak fluent English so it helps. They have a library club where kids bring home an English and a Chinese book every week. The teacher knows we can't read Chinese so she reads it to him first. Then he brings it home and tells us the story!

I would say stay with international at least for the first year because local stream might be too much of a shock.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I can speak Cantonese and read/write Chinese on a (very) basic level. I tend to prefer reading my daughter's bilingual circulars in English. My husband has no Chinese language skills whatsoever. We opted to send our daughter to Victoria Kindergarten and we are very happy with our choice. Strong foundational Cantonese/Mandarin with lots of English support.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by evgreen View Post
    I can speak Cantonese and read/write Chinese on a (very) basic level. I tend to prefer reading my daughter's bilingual circulars in English. My husband has no Chinese language skills whatsoever. We opted to send our daughter to Victoria Kindergarten and we are very happy with our choice. Strong foundational Cantonese/Mandarin with lots of English support.
    Forgot to add that we joined the International Stream which is Trilingual (Canto/Mandarin/English)