Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

NT、NIFTY or Harmony Test,which is better?

Lesiley is offline Registered User

NT、NIFTY or Harmony Test,which is better?

Hi Ladies,

I am 10 weeks now, trying to make an appointment for my 12 weeks check-up with my OB. My last OB suggested me to do NIFTY test around 11 weeks, but new OB's nurse suggested me to do Harmony test instead of NIFTY, also because in their practice they don't do NIFTY any more. In the meanwhile, I have also noticed that many to-be-moms mentioned NT as well. I am really confused about what to do at this stage, my question is : which test is more suitable and accurate but less risk for me to do in 2weeks time? Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

P.S What about the costs?

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

btc
    btc is offline Registered User
    Nuchal Translucency (NT) is a measurement of the amount of fluid behind your baby's neck. It's usually done around the time of your 12-week scan. Babies with Down's often have increased fluid behind the neck, although some babies without Down's may have increased fluid too. The NT is often done in conjunction with OSCAR which is a blood test which measures the levels of two maternal hormones (HCG and PAPP-A) which combined with mother's age & weight, NT measurement and baby's lengths gives you a probability (catergorised as Low or High Risk). It's about 90% accurate with 5-7% false positive. OSCAR is cheaper than NIFTY/Harmony.

NIFTY and Harmony are DNA tests, that sequence fetal DNA from the mother's blood sample. They are very similar (slight differences in sequencing method) but NIFTY is done in Shenzhen and Harmony in USA. Harmony is more expensive than NIFTY. Both are >99% detection rate with less than 1% false positive so are more sensitive than NT + OSCAR. They also give a probability and categorise you as Low or High Risk. NIFTY and Harmony also check for Trisomy 13, Trisomy 18 and sex chromosome conditions along with Down's (Trisomy 21).

All these are non-invasive so pose no risk to your baby.

@btc, thank you so much for your detailed explanation

@btc, after read your reply, I think have a more clear clue about how those tests work now. Central Health Care practice does Harmony, the charge is nearly 8K HKD, I haven't checked the cost of NIFTY with my former OB, but from the info I checked online, seems also around 7K HKD, not much big difference. Is the info right? If not, how much would NIFTY cost averagely in HK?
    Thanks a lot.

illumination is offline Registered User
    Other than that you have panorama and safe T21 available in hk. I am no doctor but did some research to realize that both these tests cover more chromosomes then the others and for both the samples are sent to the US. I chose safe T21 as the sample is sent to the sequenom lab in the US. Sequenom is the same company which offers Maternity t 21 in the us, which seems one of the more effective tests as per the internet research I did. The only drawback of safe t21 is that they do not reveal the sex of the child. But that was not my priority, my priority was to be sure that my baby was alright.

@illumination, thanks for your reply and new useful info, this is the first time I heard about Panorama and T21. May I ask where did you get your T21 test down? In private practice or public hospital? And how long does it take to get the result? What about the cost?

Cheers.

illumination is offline Registered User
    Hello lesiley, I got mine at femina health care with dr. Shell wong. My experience was good. It cost me 8k hkd. The other place you can get it is prince of Wales hospital but sorry I do not have more info about that. Also wanted to add, I did mine after the oscar, which was done at a public hospital. My oscar numbers were very good but I wanted to be extra sure hence went for this test. Hope this helps.

@illumination, you are being very helpful. Thanks for the info you provided me, I will have a think and discuss with my hubby about those tests info I've collected so far. As to be moms, nothing is more important to make sure that the baby is healthy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast