Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Did you have CMV-Igg+Igm and Toxoplasma-Igg+Igm blood test done?

Lesiley is offline Registered User

Did you have CMV-Igg+Igm and Toxoplasma-Igg+Igm blood test done?

Hi ladies,

I went to do my second check-up today, had ultrasound and NIFTY done, but I noticed there were other three types of blood test also been required, one called CMV-Igg+Igm、Toxoplasma-Igg+Igm、Irregular antibody. What are those blood tests for? Any ideas? I don't keep any pet, do I still need to check Toxoplasma-Igg+Igm too? A little bit confused.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

CoquinaHK is offline Registered User
    Hi Lesiley,

Here is a link where you can read all you need on CMV, a sort of herpes.
    Cytomegalovirus during pregnancy | BabyCenter
    As you will read, if you have been infected up to 6 months before getting pregnant, you have developed antibodies (positive Igg - negative Igm) and you and your baby will be fine. If you have been infected during your pregnancy or in the 6 months preceding your pregnancy (positive Igm - negative Igg), then it might be dangerous and you will probably get a treatment to prevent harming your baby.

Same thing applies to Toxo. If you have been infected in the past (positive igg - negative igm), you are now immune and don't have to worry. If you have been infected recently (negative igg - positive igm), then doctors will tell you what to do. If have never been infected, you are not immune and have to be careful. Toxo is trasmitted by cats faeces. So theoretically any food that might have been in contact with cat faeces can be contaminated with the bacteria, especially raw and cured meat, vegetables, fuits... that's why it is important to wash thoroughly fruits and veggs or to cook them and to avoid raw meat. The fact that you do not own a cat (which is not that dangerous by the way if you follow basic hygienic rules, I have so many friends with kids who had cats in pregnancy) does not mean you can not get the bacteria from contaminated food. I am lucky!! I am Toxo-immune, so I can afford eating ham and salame from time to time :) Still, I prefer not to eat raw meat to avoid other nasty bacteria, especially listeria! But I am kind of paranoid of this, I have to admit... :)
    So I would personally go for the tests.

I am unable to help on the irregular antibodies, sorry! I can just google it, but I would only be copy-pasting for you ;)

Lesiley is offline Registered User
    @CoquinaHK, thank you so much for your informative reply, I've checked the link you posted there, now I have a better knowledge about CMV test, not being so worried about it. Also glad that you could share your ideas on Toxoplasma too, I thot it just has something to do with cats mainly, I didn't know also could get it from raw meat, cured meat or uncleaned veggies and fruits. Good to gain more informations during pregnancy and play it safe. Again thanks a lot for your support and help, as a first time mother, really being lucky and happy to have wonderful to-be moms around to share info and support each other through the journey.

Enjoy your lunch with other moms, hope to meet you next time. Bon appetite!

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks