Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

formula feeding on long haul flights from HK

dreamgate is offline Registered User

Moreover maybe your LO won't like the change of the brand for her formula...

kam2350 is offline Registered User

HK airport told me this morning that ALL U.S bound flights will not allow any liquid and gel items over 100mls on board, as per US Govt rules and regulations :( This includes any bottles of water bought airport side, regardless of if its for formula or not. Since its such a long haul, i'll probably go with the premade mix i already have and maybe pack some powder formula to mix with plane water if im absolutely desperate and bub wont take other stuff. Soooooo annoying!!

bellamojo is offline Registered User

They HAVE to be accommodating for passengers with babies. I flew in July to Toronto direct (15 hours non-stop). LO was 7.5 months. I bought bottled water - bonaqua no less - on the secure side of the airport to make bottles in air. (Airlines have bottled water on board and worst case scenario will provide you with some should yours get confiscated pre-boarding.) I brought two bottles to make during the flight, and once finished I wiped them out with Tommee Tippee bottle / teat / soother wipes bought at mothercare. Made it easier to travel with just two bottles. LO had ZERO problems with this. My formula - HIPP Organic - cannot be made more than two hours in advance and cannot be store bought in Canada or the US. We were going for SIX weeks and took 6 boxes of formula out of HK without a question asked.
    When flying in / out of the US from Canada (also international flights), we purchased bottled water secure-side each time and took the water on board. All in all, we did six flights this way.
    Bottom line is they don't hassle people with infants - they can't. They cannot prohibit you from taking water to make formula. Just make sure it's sealed, and a necessary amount.
    The airlines I used this summer (and tested this with) are Air Canada, JetBlue, and United. All okay.
    PS: The stuff about not-giving-infants-bottled-water ? It's one trip. Its necessary. And obviously these people have never had to fly with babies. It's BS. You will be GREAT!! :)

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by kam2350 View Post
    HK airport told me this morning that ALL U.S bound flights will not allow any liquid and gel items over 100mls on board, as per US Govt rules and regulations :( This includes any bottles of water bought airport side, regardless of if its for formula or not. Since its such a long haul, i'll probably go with the premade mix i already have and maybe pack some powder formula to mix with plane water if im absolutely desperate and bub wont take other stuff. Soooooo annoying!!
    So the airlines won't allow liquid water on board but do allow pre-mixed liquid formula? Seems an odd way to go about things!

All my long haul flights with children have been to the UK, and the rules have changed and been inconsistently applied over the years. Sometimes cartons of liquid milk (UHT) were waved through, sometimes I had to open (!) one and taste at UK security check.

I understand your reluctance to change formula brand, some babies can be fussy at the start - and nobody wants a fussy baby on a plane! You could switch a bit earlier to try and mitigate this if you have to, start introducing the one you'll use on the plane a few days/weeks earlier.

Definitely pack some formula and have it "in reserve" as it will give you another option, even if you mix it with water served on the plane (which is what we did until ours switched to cows milk).

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12